Mild croup symptoms... anything else I can do besides humidifier or warm steam bath?

Last week she developed some sinus issues, well we all did, not so much conjestion but the post-nasal-drip at night (yuk). 2 days ago I noticed she'd have that "sound" when she'd inhale when she cried. (She's 2 1/2). I didn't freak because last year we never heard of croup and we rushed her to the ER and it was an expensive learning experience. Now I know a little better. :D Anyway this morning she woke with "the barking cough". She's in good spirits and doesn't have a fever... although I'm concerned that this is getting worse.

I have some prescription C-Phen drops the ped. gave me in the past that haven't expired yet... should I use them? I'm not sure it will do any good...

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Kids' Health

• call your pediatrician and ask them to CALL IN an rx for prelone--

cool mist humidity and outside in the cold (with her bundled up) should help a lot

croup is caused by inflammation / swelling of the vocal cords and warmth increases that swelling - warmth is good for thick congestion like that in bronchitis and sinusitis -NOT croup steam can actually kill a child with croup by complete swelling and blocking the airway
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 1:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• daughter gets croup. we put a pot of boliing water on the stove with some eucalyptus oil drops. just let it fill the house with the steam. also i put menalatum on her chest and feet
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 12:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Croup runs in my family so I have had tons of experience dealing with it. And yes, it's scary to hear them breathe & "bark" like a seal! It's always worse in the am & then again at nite. Try not to let them run around too much, since to much exercise can get them "barking" If it's cool outside, you could take them outside to breathe the cool air for a while. You could also try some vapor rub on their chest. My G-ma had an old-fashioned remedy- but it's stinky. Plus, w/ food prices (esp. bacon), you may not want to do it- But for Gma's sake, I'll tell you anyway: take strips of raw bacon, raw onion & some garlic cloves, wrap them in a warm moistened towel & wrap around their neck. Good luck :) (*Plz be pprd, that your child may continue to get croup until they hit their teen yrs- then you usually outgrow it)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2011