the government can not make us pay for health care

we the people of the united states should have a choice and if i choose to go without health care then that is my right as a citizen. i dont see how the majority of the nation will actually be able to afford it and be able to buy food, pay rent, gas ... ect ......

mistik75

Asked by mistik75 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It seems like the government wants to take choices out of our hands.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The problem is that the ones that choose not to have health insurance. Run to the emergency room when they get sick or injured. At that point the taxpayers and the people with insurance or pay their own health bills end up paying for them too.
    I wonder if they would sign that they will never receive medical assistance unless they can pay upfront for it. They choose not to obtain health insurance but they also have to assume complete responsibility for their health care or not use any.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• What do we do with those who have no health insurance, seek medical treatment in ER's and are unable to pay? The cost of health care is more in the ER and now that cost is passed on to the consumer. If everyone had health insurance many health problems would be treated before they were out of control and would cost less. I don't know what the answer is, but something must be done about the high cost of health care and health insurance.
    Justmom223

Answer by Justmom223 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I don't know what the answer is, but something must be done about the high cost of health care and health insurance.
    __________________

This will not decrease those costs. It was stated, during the health care debates, that this will not increase the cost of health care. Apparently, that was not true. The cost of health care has increased for everyone I know. And I am not taking about by just a few dollars. The widow who lives next door pays for her own health care. Her cost doubled. Ours did not double, but it increased by more than it usually does on a yearly basis.

I do not think the answer is to force everyone to have health care and to have us who can afford it, pay for it for everyone else. I think a better answer would be to regulate the insurance and the pharmaceutical industries.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Actually tootoobusy, it's not the ones who CHOOSE not to have ins who run to the ER and then don't pay their bill. A good majority of those people know they are responsible for their costs incurred and they PAY their bills. It's the illegals who know they don't have to pay their bills when they run to the ER because they have a cold.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If everyone had health insurance many health problems would be treated before they were out of control and would cost less.

***

And some 265+ MILLION out of 308 MILLION people in this country already HAVE health insurance!! Those that don't either don't want it, haven't applied for it (Medicare/Medicaid), are invincible 20-30 somethings, or are illegals!! So, WHY doesn't the government just take care of THOSE people, instead of screwing with everyone else?! Because approximately 77% of those with insurance are HAPPY with it!! The reason WHY the government needs everyone to "chip in" (especially the healthy young citizens who never make insurance claims) is they need SOMEONE to foot the bill for those who can't or won't!

---

I don't know what the answer is, but something must be done about the high cost of health care and health insurance.

***

TORT REFORM!! (frivolous law suits and ridiculously high sett
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• *settlements
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Our problem with health care costs came about from Richard Nixon. He changed American health care from its longstanding not-for-profit business principles into a for-profit model that was driven by the insurance industry. In 1973, Congress passed the Health Maintenance Organization Act, which encouraged rapid growth of HMOs.
    We need doctors to control the costs of health care NOT insurance companies. Health care should not be for shareholders to gain profits.

Justmom223

Answer by Justmom223 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• When I was young, no one had health insurance. My parents paid for everything out-of-pocket, as did everyone else. The prices were affordable and all was well. It was only when the idea of insuring one's health that the cost became outrageous because the providers found they could charge the insurance companies more and make twice. We blame the insurance companies, but it was greedy doctors and hospitals that brought us to this point. But, I do agree with you. The gov't of the USA can't force us to purchase a product of any kind.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I definitely agree with you. Things are difficult as is. How are we to pay for healthcare and support our families too. It's hard enough trying to get a job.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2011