Maybe CM should add an etiquette tutorial

I think this would be a more enjoyable experience if everyone could express their opinions w/out being critical of the OP or others w/ varying opinions from their own. Wouldnt it be nice if there was something like a translator button, so when someone says something like, "She's a grown woman so you should just butt out & myob ", it would translate it as: "Since she's a grown woman, so maybe you should let her make her own mistakes" Until that is invented, maybe some people should keep a thesaurus by the computer in order to have more civilized discussions.  Just sayin.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Unfortunately, the etiquette lesson should have been taught by parents. In many cases, I suspect it probably was taught by parents too. It's too bad that so many people who screech about their rights to their opinions and free speech don't extend the same rights to others with a healthy dose of common courtesy.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's the internet..rude people are everywhere and that is the way it is. After all, they're safe behind a computer where they can't get bitch-slapped. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think if you are going to say mean spirited or rude things you should at least drop the anonymous posting and take credit.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• LOL. The same moms that write mean-spirited things wouldn't read the tutorial :) The translator would rock, but sometimes there is a need to be less than tactful.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Some of the questions asked need to have blunt answers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:01 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think a Q and A tutorial is a good idea in general. I could cover not only general 'rules' (It's not like there are none) but also the things that get asked a lot like abbreviations, when it is appropriate to report a question or answer and how to cancel an account. No personal attacks, no use of derogatory terms, no advertising... It wouldn't be saying 'don't be an ass' (which apparently is a freedom) but it would say what is and is not against the rules and it would hurt to throw in some good suggestions, like try to be respectful.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think I love you OP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• CafeMom Detailed Rules of Conduct guidelines.  I don't think many read the guidelines they should follow.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I knew I could count on musicmom!
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• ^^^  Big Grin ^^^ Liansmommie

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011