Does anyone know what is the 1st step I need to take

I am totally out of shape and I don't run. But I like to give myself a goal. In March in my area where I live there is a 5 K Marathon that will be taking place.
I know I need to eat right but what exercises do I need to do? Do I stretch before running? What stretch do I do? What exercises do I need to do?
I am overweight as my doctor tells me so I figured this goal will also help me out.

bmwlover

Asked by bmwlover at 10:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Search "Couch to 5k".....it's an online program to get you started in the right direction...good luck.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:27 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Start with walking daily for 10 minutes at 3 mph. Increase your time and mph weekly. If you are too sore on some days, give yourself the day off. Next day start again where you left off. You should be able to finish the race.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• just start super slow!! What i did when I weighed 128 lbs (which is 20 lbs over wt for me) after nursing school. I started a goal I said everyday that I do not work I was on the treadmill. So I started and it wasn't easy. At the start of November I walked for .75 miles and did that for a week. Every week I increased my milage but .25 miles. By March I was running 5 miles with no problems and had went down to 106lbs. I loved running but I had surgery in June that year and have never ran as much since. I have kept all my wt off until of coarse I have become prego. I have now started working our again but once again I am starting SUPER SLOW!!! Make yourself a promise meet that goal and you feel like such a stronger person because you did not let yourself down good luck I hope you meet all of your GOALS FOR YOU!!!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 10:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Eating right is the first step.
    Your second step is to start off light. Cardio is your main excersise as that is the best to lose the weight. That will also help you train for the 5K. Cardio includes running, walking (long distances), swimming, aerobics, and the-like. The Wii Fit has a lot of great excersises that actually do help you. It's a great way to start off, because they have beginner in all their categories. Now, to help tone and strengthen you'll want to do pilates and/or Yoga. Both are great to stretch your muscles and help tone your body. They're also a great start before you run, as again they help stretch out your body.

You'll want to start out with about 20 minutes a day. It's going to be hard, but if you find things that help you workout the better it'll be. Whether it's fast paced music, watching TV while you excersise, or working out with friends. If you have any other questions please ask. :D
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The couch to 5k is awesome and there is a group on FB too, they will give you diet tips, running tips and you can chat with others going through it too! I did it and it was awesome and I was not a jogger at all. I could not go from my house to the neighbors without getting winded!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• What MrsMWE said.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• For sure stretch first and maybe start by walking small distances and then adding more slowly and soon enough you will be running
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I was going to suggest "couch to 5k" also - lots of tips
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• start out slow. do warm-ups before running and then warm-downs afterwards so your not aching all day.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 2:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2011