Babysitters or nanny's

How many of you have babysitter's or nanny's and feel safe leaving your children with them?

ChanQ

Asked by ChanQ at 10:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have NEVER left my children w/ anyone besides family and a very very close friend. I don't feel comfortable leaving them w/ a nanny or babysitter or even a child care facility because they're not potty trained and cannot fully talk. Is that selfish? I hope not, i'm just a very protective mommy
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would have loved to live near family so that I could have used family to babysit but that wasn't how it worked out for us. We moved away because of my DH's work. We had great neighbors and started with using their teens for babysitters. After making friends I would share babysitting with them. They were in the same boat as me. I now do childcare for two families who are in the same situation........away from family. I got the jobs at care.com and sittercity.com and I have solid references, a background check, several meet ups to get to know the families, and even had my fingerprints done for one family.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I can count on one hand how many people I have left my Son with and only one was not Family (that was the worst mistake ever, but at the time, I had no one else and it was an emergency)..but if it came down to it - babysitter would be the "best of the worst" option.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My DD goes to a babysitter 2-3 days a week while I work. WE may not be related but she has BECOME family. I feel totally safe with her. she loves my children and takes excellent care of them. My children love her in returns. In fac tther are days that my DD wants to STAY instead of coming home with me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I'm so afraid to leave my son with a sitter he doesn't know - but he's my first and I'm very protective. I don't even like leaving him at my parents' - they're not physically fit enough to keep up with him.

The only sitters I can really deal with are my father and my MIL.
    littlevee

Answer by littlevee at 10:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have been working with children for 10 years now. I know many good nannies and babysitters. I am not afraid to leave any children with them. If you find a good nanny with good qualifications, references, and your gut says yes than why not? Loads of times when something happens with a child the family is around. There are highly educated and trained nannies with loads of experience. Most of the time when something happening the point is on the lack of experience. So the problem is with the parent who leaves his or her child with someone who is not a professional nanny. Just someone from the neighbourhood who actually looks after children. So the main thing is to find out if the nanny is really a professional and reliable one. Because there are loads of people who thinks it is a good money making job. But they don't care. The main thing: find a nanny who wants to be one and not for just the time-being.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Ever since my first baby was left in another room with vomit all over her by a licensed day care provider I chose not to allow ANYONE but family to watch my kids. So much could go wrong. Once they were older and I was a single mom without much choice I hired a live in nanny. She was a friend of mines daughter, so even then it was someone I knew and trusted. I loved her. She and I are still very good friends and she is a part of our family. I would not hire someone to just babysit, because it is not the same sort of bond you get with a live in nanny. They have to live with you and have more respect for your home, family etc because they become a part of it. So I would go with a nanny over a sitter anytime.

Answer by gemgem at 10:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Both of my children go to 'outsiders' 5 days a week.
    My oldest has gone to childcare facilities since he was 4. I had not choice. I had to get a full time job when I left my abusive husband. Even at 4, my son couldn't talk because he has autism. No one else was available to watch him. I changed childcares until I found one I was comfortable having him stay at while I was working. He's been there for years now.
    My 19 month old stays with my neighbor during the day. She is very trustworthy and is like a surrogate grandmother to him.
    I trust both the child care providers I have for my children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I am pretty nervous to leave my chid. We don't not have close family around and I want to keep working full time! I am really nervous but I feel that I have no choice!! I will prob worry so much while I am at work.
    ChanQ

Comment by ChanQ (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We don't leave our child with anyone-- family or otherwise. She is too young.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011