Possible explanation for recent animal deaths?

What are your thoughts on this theory?

The shifts in the magnetic north pole were enough to affect some airports, and many animals are affected by changes in magnetic fields. Seems plausible as one explanation, but I'm sure poison, stress, unusually cold water, weather and some of the other theories about normal occurrences in nature might be right for some of the cases too. What do you think?

Moving magnetic north pole may be the cause of mysterious bird and fish deaths

Shift in magnetic north pole affects Tampa airport

Magnetic north pole shifts forces closure of Florida airport

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• But WHY only SPECIFIC breeds of birds and fish?! Why not ALL breeds of birds and fish--even a few "indiscriminate" ones?!

Sorry, but I am still hanging my hat on the fact that it is a NATURAL occurrence as documented for the past 40 years by the US Geological Society!

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/mortality_events/ongoing.jsp

I also blame the media for overplaying any significance or playing into people's "end of the world" perceptions.  Remember all of the shark attacks in late 2000 and early 2001?!  Based solely on media reports, you would think it was unsafe to swim in a POOL for fear of being attacked by a shark, let alone the ocean! 

But then, 9/11 happened, and POOF!  No more shark attacks!!  Why is that?!  Did sharks use up their "15 minutes of fame?!" LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's extremely probable.

I just know that it's not the beginning of the end of the world.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think that it is so scary how many animals have suddenly died!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 10:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• sounds probable

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Wait I'm sorry I just got distracted by the replies...OP you have a friend who gloats on FB about bird deaths world wide on a regular basis? Wow...just wow...I'm ... wow

Ok ummm - as for these birds & fish; the possible explanations I've heard so far from avian experts sound plausible. I'm going to reserve my suspicions and panic for when they release the results of the necropsy's.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My thoughts are that this happens every single day, but it was a slow news day one day so suddenly people started paying attention. This is the equivalent to a breaking news story that the tides roll in and out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

-----

That's why I don't buy as a causes for all of it. It may be an explanation for some. I know this stuff occurs all the time, because I have a FB who hates birds (thinks they just spread disease and all that), and posts about birds dying in different areas just about every week. So, I wasn't shocked by the first few pieces of news coverages because I thought there were natural explanations and this happens all the time. I am trying to figure out if it's happening more or if they're just COVERING it more right now but it's always happening.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• um..should be buy *it* as
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Where are the deaths of birds and fish?

----------

All over the world, but most of this coverage started with some occurrences in Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Sweden, etc. around NYE.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it, now if they all get confused, then I would wonder what is going on?
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2011