spin off here: All the aprents who say they never want their child to be 'kept' by anyone but family.

This is fine and I am glad it's an option for you! I am not saying by any means you are wrong or you *should* be using people other than family by any means. I just wondered: How are you going to react when they have to go to school with a teacher you have only met once maybe twice?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 10:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• By the time they start school, I will be okay, they'll be able to talk and they'll be potty trained. It will scare me, because of all the stuff happening in schools here (deaths, shootings etc..) BUT school is a must! I refuse to home-school becaue they need friends and to experience being around kids same age. If I had the money to afford daycare right now, I would start to use it, but its just so expensive.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My hubby and I have three girls ages 17, 11 and 4. I've been a SAHM for all of them and only myself and hubby have watched them all until the age of 3. One, because I'm rather over protective of them until that age and two, we really didn't need anyone else to watch them. All three girls started preschool at the age of 3 and all three not once had a problem going to school for the first time and I was perfectly comfortable sending them there only meeting their teachers once.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I cant trust people for SHIT! Honestly with people getting their healthy child back with SBS or something worse. I just cant bring myself to do that. Hell, I dont even trust most family. LOL as for school I will be researching their school before they ever go there. Hopefully, this works out. If all else fails I wouldn't mind home schooling. Been thinking about doing that lately anyway.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• There's a difference between family and strangers you recruit over the internet. Teachers are checked, supervised by other teachers.... a random person you get from a babysitting website you'll leave your child alone with.... Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 12:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• To each his own but I had absolutely no problem handing my kids off to others
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I am this way, but only because we have alot of family willing to care for them. DS who is 3, never has any problems spending the night some where or going to a friends house, and no one but family "kept" him until he turned 3.
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We don't even let our family watch our baby. Only my mom one time for 2 hours.

A 5 year old has language skills and can advocate for himself to a degree. A pre-verbal infant cannot.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• What do you mean by "kept". ???
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have family to watch my kids. I even had my DD watched by my SIL when I worked, during her first year of life. After she turned one, I actually chose a daycare setting (home daycare). My SIL was fine, but she wasn't doing daily story time, art activities, outdoor play, etc with DD. There were no peers for DD to interact with either. I found a licensed DCP, and the experience ended up being GREAT. She is a family friend today.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I interviewed half a dozen different schools (and the possible teachers) before picking one for my oldest. Overkill? Maybe. But I wanted to be sure of who is around my kids. I wanted a place where EVERYONE was fingerprinted and checked out, where the teachers had the best educations, ect ect :) Was more than worth it.
    alwaysmom98

Answer by alwaysmom98 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2011