what is happeig to our kids today

what is goig with our kids today, we have had school shootigs we just had a deadly shootig at az that kileed a 9 yr old girl that was just there to get more ifo about how the gov. works? how could we as mother & father do for our kids to help our kids go throu life with out somethig like this happed to somebody alse. is it safe for our kids to go to school , is it safe for our babies go to day care afaird thaqt somebody is goig to start shootig, what could we do to prevet this.

mom2011215

Asked by mom2011215 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• There is really not much any one can do with these random acts, it is called being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Answer by older at 11:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You could say the same thing about getting in your car every day. No point to live in fear. Enjoy the time you have here with your children instead of worrying what could or couldn't happen.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• kids are being raised by both parents having to work so no one is home with them to instill right or wrong, they are left to defend for themselves..... then when it comes time for you to actually punish your children good ol' DHS is there to regulate how you treat your kids so...they get to do what ever the hell they want these days
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• All we can do is raise our kids as best we can and do our best to act well to others. The rest of the world we can't speak for but we can make our own little corners better.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You can vote mistik down all you want, but she has some valid points.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I know what you mean. If we could put them in a protective bubble it'd be great. But since we cant, we just have to teach them to be aware of their surroundings & hope for the best. Schools are getting better about safety & also practice lock-down drills. (Back in the day, they had Nuclear bomb drills- like a desk will keep you from incinerating!) Even the poor amish community couldnt escape our modern day wrath a few yrs back when that guy went into the school & murdered several girls. It's all so sad how violent things have become. On the flip side, you still have a better chance of being hurt or killed in a car accident than you do being shot at school. (those changces go up when people chooose to text & drive, drink & drive, etc.) Just pray for the best!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Life is different for kids than when I had kids. For one thing, there are more kids using drugs and somehow parents either not knowing or they are drug users themsleves. This guy who shot the Rep in AZ was well known for smoking pot and seeming to be in a fog all the time. Kids today have too much freedom---they don't just go straight home and do their homework,then have dinner with Mom and Dad as my kids did or as I did. They are roaming around, with no supervision and no limits. Their parents don't have standards for them. They feel alone and start being strange but parents ignore it.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You can NOT always blame the parents and how the kids were raised. Sometimes, actually most times, that is not even the cause of the issues. Some of these kids have undiagnosed mental illness, some just have bad blood that no amount of good parenting will change. It doesn't have to do with a child being raised by one parent or two. SOME cases are from parenting, but most are not. Too much schedules,supervision, etc can cause issues too because once the kids get on their own or get a taste of freedom, they go overboard.

I know a kid,from a good family, raised by 2 parents, had standards, was taught right from wrong, had limits, had dinner with the family every night but he is sitting in prison for a 30 year sentence for armed robbery. Um...wonder why he did it? His answer, "My parents did all the right things, raised me right but I CHOSE the WRONG friends. I made the wrong choices. It was MY choices that put me here."

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We make them the best human beings we can we make them aware of their surroundings and raise them to care.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• mistik is right with some cases like or not. I have always been a stay at home mom and babysat and I saw kids everyday out and about with out parent supervision . No one is teaching them respect, control, and making sure their homework is done. I saw this and these kids I know did get into drugs and into trouble.
    Children need us adults to teach them important things about life, respect is a big one!
    If you have to leave them with a sitter than make sure they are there to do a good job and watch your child.

I think we can save some, by just being good parents, friends and family members, just be there for our kids.

Drugs and heavy drinking does change a person, education is the best way to keep kids away from some one these dangers.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2011