Why do you homeschool?

What is your reason for choosing to homeschool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Because Florida schools are some of the worst in the country and I didn't like how the teachers and school staff treated the kids when I would visit the schools.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Because I don't trust the government, who has a long history of screwing everything else up, to educate my precious children.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I am thinking of homeschooling my kids.... I just dont trust the shcools here and we cant move to anywhere else right now
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Too many reasons to list, but mostly because I want my kids to be free to explore and learn the things that interest them, rather than the things some bureaucratic people, who have never met my children, decide is best for them to learn.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I WANT to homeschool because New Mexico schools are worse than any other state's schools. I don't know if I'll get to, though..but I would love to try.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• MANY MANY reason's, but my biggest is safety. We live in a small town pre-k through 12th is all one school.
    proudestmomma02

Answer by proudestmomma02 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We are homeschooling because we now live half the year in Belize and half the year in the states. I didn't want my son changing schools every year so it was easier to home school. My husband was a college professor for a few years so he is well equipped to home school our son. We are able to travel a lot more this way. My son loves his new teacher, the hands on learning and going to where history was made rather than just reading a book.  Homeschooling has opened up so many more learning opportunities for my son.  My husband is retired so this fills his day and allows him to be much closer to our son. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 4:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I am homeschooling my DD because she was hospitalized for 2 months this past summer and missed the beginning of school. She went back for one week and then got sick again. Since she is in and out of the hospital it is just easier to teach her at home. My middle child just asked if he could be home schooled because he feels he is not learning anything in school. I told him if he is serious I would let him homeschool as well.

I do think that when kids are younger they need to establish social skills and we have pretty good schools in my area so I didn't have a problem sending them to school. Now that they are getting older I am finding that they are not learning enough or are being challenged. My oldest son is in a charter school and I wil leave him there because he is doing great and I love the school.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We homeschool for many reasons. Safety is a big reason and I also know that we can educate them better than anyone else can. We know our children and can allow them to learn at their own pace as fast or as slow as they need to. At home they are free to learn about what they want to learn about. They can follow their interests and I can plan a cirriculum entirely around their needs. I want my kids to be free thinkers and to follow their curiosity.

buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No, my son is too young. However, I would consider it if his needs weren't being met in the public school. No situation is right for every family.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 2:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011