So what ABOUT benadryl and babies?

I've heard so many times from other moms to give my baby benadryl when flying or under extreme circumstances where he won't sleep. They have said this even when he was a young as 4 months! Now that he's 10 months, I hear it all the time.
What I've read is the opposite. And his doctor agrees, no benadryl. But, he sort of has to say that since it's not legally approved for infants and no doctor wants to deal with a lawsuit if a baby gets sick or worse.
So I'm wondering, what's the real deal? Is there any info out there on it's safety or lack-there-of in infants?
By the way, I haven't ever given it too him. I just want to know what other moms know about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can cause hyperactivity in babies. My daughter has been taking benadryl for a LONG time, doctor ordered, then dermatologist ordered, for severe itching from severe eczema. I hate having to give her medicine every night (she gets very itchy in her sleep) so I only give it to her on days where the flare ups are very bad, or she complains of itching. (She's 3 now, been using it on and off since about 9 mos.) There is no baby benadryl, only children's, so you would need to consult a doctor to get the proper dose. Sometimes it helps her sleep better, and other times she wakes all night long. I wouldn't recommend it unless it is needed for severe itching or allergic reactions.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Well i am against drugging a child, exspec. a baby!! benad. wasnt made for an infant so i wouldnt do it....whoever is telling you is good has bad parenting skills :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My doctor told me that bennadryl is just about the only safe thing to give an infant for colds.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Benadryl is safe for some, extremely unsafe for others. My children could absolutely not tolerate it in any form. I don't think it's ever a good idea to drug a child. Stay away from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I don't think benadrys is safe for infants because i know when i take adult benadryl it makes me sleepy and i don't know if childrens benadryl if non drowsy or not but in infants that may increase the risk of sids. That is kind of my thought on it and also when they are so young they may be really allergic and it doesn't list a dosage for babies that young. That is why i wouldn't give it to my baby.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 10:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I didn't give my kids anything for colds as babies. Nothing "cures" a cold, it has to run its course no matter what. Benedryl is for allergies. Its not for making your kid sleepy. For awhile day cares were getting into trouble for giving babies and toddlers benedryl or nyquil because it can cause serious illnesses and death.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• OBVIOUSLY IF THEY MAKE A CHILDRENS BEADRYL (SP) THEN GO BY INSTRUCTION. DONT GIVE A BABY OR TOD ADULT MED. ITS COMMON SENCE. EVERYBODY REACTS DIFFERENTLY AND THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE YOUR BABY WONT REACT THE SAME AND FALL ASLEEP. BRING TOYS ON A PLANE AND KEEP THEM ENTERTAINED LIKE A REAL MOM SHOULD, AFTER ALL, YOU HAD A BABY EXPECTING THESE THINGS SO DONT TRY AND GET AROUND IT THE EASY WAY.
    KAIDENSMOMI

Answer by KAIDENSMOMI at 12:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would give it to a child when the circumstances called for it. I would not give it to make a child sleep. I know what it makes ME feel like and its not sleepy. Its restless, irritated and jumpy. I would give it for an allergic reaction or a very sneezy child. Only use it for its intended use. Its not bad, but needs to be used appropriately.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• They make Benadryl for infants. I have it. I had to give it to my son because he ended up being allergic to peaches and broke out in hives all over his body. Its the only thing that helped and that is what the doc told us to give to him.
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 1:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• KAIDENSMOMI, relax. I never said I wanted to use it to get around anything the easy way. This is something that has been suggested to me by many mothers, so I wanted to know what the deal was. That's all. As I said, I've never given it to my baby.
    Anonymous