My son has ADHD!!

and I work full time.. He is in Kindergarten and is 6.. He missed the cut off date.. But he wasn't ready anyways.. He is having a hard time learning to read.. He said to me he is the oldest in his class and don't know anything.. It broke my heart.. His teacher said he tries but is really struggling, and gave me books at home to read.. He is not interested in reading at home for more then 5-10 mins... and since I work full time its kinda late when we get home. I want him to be confident and learn sight words.. any suggestions

mattnryansmom

Asked by mattnryansmom at 12:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My middle son is high functioning Autistic and we had problems with reading and site words. I had to learn to make it more fun. For instance like we site words we got bottles of whip cream and large card board and let him write the words that way. I used play dough to also allow him to form the words with playdough.
    Another thing you can do is contact the school board. They usually offer a list of tutors and under NCLB some districts still have them free of charge. They can come to your home (which most dont know bc schools dont tell people that), or offer after school group tutoring. I was a tutor for a company who did this which is how I know. I would go to peoples houses and work one on one with the students for about 4 hours a week.

Answer by gemgem at 12:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Get him a tutor. Also make sure he's in a special reading class at school. If he doesn't get a good grasp on reading from the start, the other subjects are going to be so hard for him. Was he diagnosed with ADHD? I'm confused as to why that would have anything to do with his ability to read. Get with his Teacher and come up with a plan, she spends a lot of time with him, and will probably be the one to help most. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• you can buy kindergarten workbooks from target and they are wonderful. we actually did them with my dd before she started school and she is now way ahead of her class. the workbooks are fun, they involve coloring and fun colorful pictures and characters. they even have some that focus just on the reading. the kindergarten sight words here are: I, see, like, to, go, my, by, can, and, no, on; you can start by pointing them out on things like on tv, in books, etc. read with him before bed, use simple books that only 1 short sentence on each page and point out sight words. follow along with your finger. just reading 1 short book before bed will help. on the weekends or on your days off spend some time and do just 1 or 2 pages from the workbooks, but make it fun and don't force anything.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Have you taken your son to see his pediatrician to determine if he does have adhd? My son was diagnosed with it and started taking medication in the first grade. He is now in the second grade. He is on the lowest dose possible this way I can monitor his behavior. The medication last for the duration of his school day so when he comes home the dose has worn off. It just last long enough to help him focus during school. I also buy workbooks and work with him. If you haven't already, just make an appointment with his pediatrician and discuss the best alternatives for your child...My son has been doing very well in school. Good luck to you
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• also, in my dd class they make books every week. they spend each day making only 1 page and then read together what they have so far. then they bring the book home on mondays and have to read it 3 times. because they've gone over it so many times the previous week, it's pretty much from memory, but my dd teacher says that memorization is key to learning to read, because as they memorize the books they are also memorizing the sight words. i'll message you the first book that they made.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes. He was diagnosed at age 4.. He has been one dif. meds since he was five.. I think we finally found a med that fits him... His med wears off by the time he gets home to. So its harder to keep him focused in reading at home.. but thanks for the ideas I will def. give them a try

mattnryansmom

Comment by mattnryansmom (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• my son is autistic and he gets extra help in school
    does he have an iep
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would agree with finding a tutor for him. That made me very sad, that he feels so down on himself, but I am sure that you can help him get it turned around with some effort.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011