Who is lying? My son or his grandmother?

My child comes home today after being at his grandmother's house, my husband's mother. She tells me this story about how he started pitching a fit and he was scratching himself and she slapped his hand away from his face and brushed his face with her hand. I, of course, asked him about it and he told me a different story. He said she slapped him and then he got mad and started scratching his face because she had hurt him...who do I believe? The thing that makes me question her is that she's lied to me before and she told me not to ask him about it but to see what he offered regarding the situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• I bet she did slap him. She is trying to make him look bad. Trust your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would have to say that I believe your son. How old is he? Kids tend not to lie most of the time unless there is a mental illness or constant pattern of lying. I would suggest listening to your son.
    lovetoteachec

Answer by lovetoteachec at 2:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Does your child lie alot?

I don't see a child lying about being hit, and is she is slapping him you need to keep her away from him!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My 2 year old will say someone hit him when he gets yelled at , but it's a matter of him not understanding the difference between the two. Chances are the grandmother did slap your child and isn't telling you about it becasue she knows she is in the wrong. Regaurdless of what a kid does they do not deserve to be slapped or scratched at.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Believer your child. Always. A two year old can't lie like that. He was aghast and scratched the sting. He is 2, and that's exactly what a two year old who is distraught would do.

The bottom line is that woman hit your child. She admitted she hit your child no matter where she claims she hit him, she admits she hit him. She hit your child! Never leave him alone there again. Never.

Believe him now and always. He will trust you and come to you about things when he is older if you establish that you believe him and trust him now.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 6:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• her stoy bugged me from the beginning. personally, i would question her comptency to take care of your son. if you absolutely must leave him with her, i'd make sure she has specific instructions in how to handle a behavioral situation with your son, ie. call YOU and have you handle it. i'd also tell my son it's not okay for grandma to hit and what she's supposed to do when she has a problem in the future.

bottom line, she's the adult and he's the child. it's not her job hit him, ever. i have never nor would i ever tollerate anyone slapping my child in the face. that's a sign of a person with a lack of self control.

as far as him scratching himself. that sounds like a reaction to him being hit and not being able to retaliate. it sounds like he got very upset and frustrated.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 6:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• believe your child always...
    bentleysmommy

Answer by bentleysmommy at 8:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If your child is young, I would think that he isn't lying. If he is young, he probably doesn't understand that slapping is abuse- so he'd have no reason to lie to you.

I'm surprised that she wasn't the one that scratched him.
    EricaAbbott

Answer by EricaAbbott at 8:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• There is no way to know for sure who is lying and who is telling the truth. If you don't trust the woman, don't leave your child with her again.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• believe your child and tell you mil to stay away from him. You cant let her get away with slapping him in the face. Thats horrible! I hope you figure it out and I would also tell my husband, were it me, to tell his mother to stay away that way she knows you all are serious about protecting your child.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2008