Do you have summer time rutine, time to get up and time to go to bed? (my kids are 7, 11, 13 & 15 years old)

I'm having difficulties to wake them up in the morning especially. It never been so much problem until this year but since 3 of my kids are entering teenage, I'm not sure to wake them up. But I beleive good rutine is good for your health physically and spiritually and would like to teach my kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• My kids are 6 and 7: they still go to bed the same time they did in during the school year but they are waking up about 30 minutes to 1 hour later... I'm a SAHM so they don't need to get up for anything... but If they are not up by 8:00 am then I go wake them up...just because I feel they should be up.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I let my boys stay up later and sleep later in the mornings during summer breaks. About a couple of weeks before school starts, the school routine is enforced to prepare them for the shock! I can remember when I was in school getting to sleep late which never happens now! lol I enjoy the quiet time in the mornings before they awake and the madness begins. Plus I enjoy not hearing that alarm clock!
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 9:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I have a 16 and 11 year old. It takes onw day for them to get into the late sleep mornings and that is how the summer goes. Before they get up, I use the time for myself and getting things done around the house. On the days my 16 yo works, she has to be up now at 8ish. As long as they get up earlier on days when they need to, I let them sleep until ten. They stay up later, so they aren't sleeping too much in 24 hours. We all remember when we were teens and did the same thing. Teens have a different 24 hour clock and this is it. They are trustworth to stay up after I am in bed at 9pm. So, I think it teaches them how to manage their sleep schedules.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• P.S. When my kids were 10 and under, I had them up an hour after me (maybe 8) because they needed to be tired when I was. I didn't want them up and doing their own thing. If they couldn't sleep, they had to be in their beds, reading or listening to music and I would check on them at some point because if I slept, it was lightly until lights were out.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:33 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Authorities have long recommended keeping their schedules the same all summer. At the very least, put them back on schedule at least 3 weeks before school resumes.
    Bevner

Answer by Bevner at 2:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I have 4 kids, 14, 11, 8 and 4. The two younger ones seem to stay pretty much on the same schedule as the school year, although, they do stay up later occasionally due to family stuff. The older two are busy with friends and ball games at night, so they definately go to bed later and sleep in in the morning, I never wake them up unless there is something they need to do.
    deb41

Answer by deb41 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Part of the fun of summer break is staying up late & sleeping in. A few weeks before school starts I start easing my daughter into waking up earlier & that strategy seems to work out well.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2008