Does Zoloft pass thru the placenta? Breastmilk?

My midwife wants to start me on zoloft at 35 wks pregnant... She says it's safe and much better for the baby then my stress/anxiety passing to the baby through cortisol levels or whatever.... See I had PPD super bad after I had my dd (after suffering with PTSD for 5 years I should have expected it but I didn't) Now I know I should. And with a nb and a 2yo this time I really can't afford to be a basket case again... I need to be there physically and mentally for my kids. I strictly want to bf again with this one and I fear a risk might be involved with taking zoloft. I don't know for sure and I have some time to talk more to my doctor and therapist about it, but I want to be sure before I make a decision. (I wouldn't even take anythingother than tylenol after I had my dd and I was stitched from front to back and had a rough recovery) So how can I subject this baby to medication? And If I don't breastfed this one won't he grow up thinking I must have loved his sister more than him to have given her my benificial BM? I'm so confused. Please help. What would you do? (ps... my PPD did not involve wanting to hurt my baby or neglect her... in fact it was the exact opposite. I would cry hysterically all the time having visions of all the horrible things that could possibly happen to her in this world. Things I can't even speak out loud because they are so horrible. And now I've already had 1 dream and 1 vision/"daydream" about horrible things happining That consumed my thoughts for days with this pregnancy... one to a random 1yr girl in my dream and my daughter falling out of her 3rd story bedroom window in my vision. Nothing about this baby yet, but I really don't wat to go thru all that again along with the uncontrollable crying and anxiety)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think you should talk to someone who's an actual MD. A midwife shouldn't be giving out medical advice like that IMO..... Everything passes to the Baby, in the womb, and through breastmilk. Get the correct advice from a Real Doctor....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Call your ob/gyn or ask the midwife because that is an important question.
    AmirnLexcimom

Answer by AmirnLexcimom at 12:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My sons are 13 months apart. While pregnant with my youngest, I started suffering depression. The OB said I could take antidepressants, but only up to 20 weeks. Beyond that, birth defects are too great a risk.
    At least that was medical knowledge 3 years ago...

In other words, if you want to risk it, that's on you. I wouldn't, though.

As for BF or not, your boobs alone don't say squat about your love for a child. Besides, where in the world are your kids ever going to learn that whether you feed formula or milk is a representation of how much you love your child?
    Hell, I never heard that crap until I came to this site...
    And crap is exactly what that is.
    You show your kids love their whole lives, not just when they are infants. Right?
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 12:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I suffered from PPD too...it is a HORRIBLE thing to go through! I would DEF NOT take it while pregnant or breast feeding, I've heard that it is ok to, but I would not risk it! BUT, I would DEF take the meds after ur baby is born and just bottle feed. I know that it's emotional not to breast feed, but in my opinion it is more emotional and DIFFICULT to go through PPD again! Your choice...did the PPD bother u that much? If so, than I think u should do what's going to allow u to enjoy ur baby and life! I think ur baby will 4give u for not breastfeeding ;)
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 1:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011