9 year old little girl died yesterday in the midst of all this nonsense..

Christina Taylor Green, born on 9/11/2001, was already interested in government. She went to hear the Congresswoman speak to learn more about how our government works.

In all the crap going on around here, all the finger pointing and the partisan bull shit and the just plain evilness going on, this young girl's family deserves, at the very least, some kind thoughts and prayers. Of course, in the big picture, everyone turns to Congresswoman and then the judge as the big story, but this young child is gone.

Today, there is a couple short a little girl. This isn't about right wing/ left wing. It's about loss.

Yesterday, that family lost a child. They deserve, the memory of that child deserves, respect and kindness, and comfort.

I don't understand this finger pointing. I don't understand how anyone could be so callous as to try to assign blame to total strangers in the midst of all this simply because of politics.

She was a baby. Just a child. A child who wanted to make the country better. We all lost something yesterday. Once again, this man had his mental illness on stage front and center, and no one paid attention. And now this baby is dead, and somehow, we're still talking about Sarah Palin.

Her parents have my prayers for whatever comfort they can have in all this.

I have to ask a question, I guess, so, how do you feel about the death of this child? Do you pay attention when someone you know posts crazy things on the internet?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its tragic and senseless- I can not imagine how that family will face today and all of the tomorrows to come.
    I do not know anyone that posts crazy things on the internet-but as a teacher, I am trained to take everything pretty seriously and if kids at school say "I just want to die" I find the time to talk with them more about the statement-to let them know I am a safe adult and then to escalate it if need be. I am an open communicator with kids and I let them know their circle includes me if they want it to.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Its very sad and personally I think her family and her death deserve more of the focus. She was an innocent child.

As for paying attention to what people I know post, yes I do. I have a son whose mentally ill so I always watch what he has to say in order to insure he is not losing it. The problem to me here seems the mental health system which is sadly broken. Unless you have a loved one who is mentally ill you may never know just how bad it is broken. Its almost impossible to get someone the held they need and when you do you insurance and hospitals fighting with each other over costs. This young man who shot these people I believe was mentally ill, and he alone is to blame for the loss of life we saw.

Answer by gemgem at 12:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• What bothers me is this young man will be written off as crazy and no one in the media will take time to look at what made him go off. I worry this is on the first of more shooting like this because I believe that many in his generation do not have the knowledge on the correct way to make a difference when they are unhappy or angry about the government. Just my thoughts.

KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 12:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It is horrendous that a child has lost her life. Her parents will have a very difficult road ahead.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My thoughts: Because our country has played such a role in demeaning political figures just because they stand for or represent something other than what one's particular point of view is, that yes, somewhere obviously this person had taken on a severe hatred... why, what, where, how much, etc... is not really relevant. What is relevant is that the past couple of years have been spread with hatred, mockery, and yes even threats.. threats of death and violence.. WHY? Because we don't agree the same way. You can plainly see this even on a site such as Cafemom. So, who is to blame? Society, if you ask me. Media, and especially the others who have spent the past two years spreading hatred... this makes us no longer a free nation, but one no better than a 3rd world country that thrives on violence.

How can one say there won't be finger pointing, when this is exactly why this event occurred.. out of hatred.

Sad...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It is a tragedy for all who were injured and lost their lives. The judge was just stopping by to say hi...and he lost his life, This young girl never got a chance to experience her full childhood when her life was cut so short by an insane man.

I don't see the political talk as disrespecting their memory, I actually think its productive if it means people start understanding their words can do damage. That creating an atmosphere wehe vile and disgusting threats and talk of violence become so common place that the NUTS no longer stand out. This guy was not a dem or repub, he is mentally ill,....Maybe he would have been taken more serious of we weren't hearing violent speech and thinly veiled death threats regularly.

I hope this is the last time a little girl with big dreams goes to meet her elected official and falls victim to violence

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I don't know much about politics, I try to live my life the best I can with what God gave me... my family. That's a full time job, right there. But I do know this, a child died. Yes, everyday a million children die senselessly. But again, it's because hatred is so rampantly spread. We should think about that each and every time we bash someone for something so silly as we disagree about breastfeeding, or we disagree about working or staying at home.

Is there someone to blame? Yes, there is. There always is. But you have to remember that every time you open your mouth to bash or speak bad of someone, a child or a person with mental issues might be listening and hearing something totally different.

Carry on....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's so sad!!! There are some sick crazy people in the world.My heart goes out to the victims and their families.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I feel terrible for the child and her family. I can't imagine the pain they must be going through right now.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• How can one say there won't be finger pointing, when this is exactly why this event occurred.. out of hatred. Is there someone to blame? Yes, there is. There always is. But you have to remember that every time you open your mouth to bash or speak bad of someone, a child or a person with mental issues might be listening and hearing something totally different.

THIS^. Yes, I agree about this little girl. Wrong place and wrong time..collateral damage.

I wish people ( politicians included) would think, long and hard about what they say, film and record, where they say it and post it

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2011