14 Year old son with the flu.............

My poor guy has the flu throwing up and the runs and poor guys is sleeping so hard he had an accident what I am wondering is will imodium help with the runs if he has the flu????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You probably shouldn't give him anything, the reason I say this is because...if it is the flu, then it needs to run it's course...and the way his body is fighting the infection is by flushing out his cycle. Keep him hydrated but don't give him medicine. Belly problems should always be allowed time to run their course as uncomfortable as it is. Sorry momma! He will be better soon though!
    menko21

Answer by menko21 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Keep him hydrated with water, chamomile tea, ginger tea, etc.; just let the virus run its course.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My best friend's family just went through this. It started with her one son age 17 next her 20 year old home from college and then she and her husband. Poor thing I wish I could help her but I now live about 400 miles from her. Hate to be the giver of bad news but more than likely your entire household will have this. Just keep him hydrated. Gatorade is great but wait until he stops throwing up. Only clear liquids right now. Give him a couple of ounces of clear liquids and if he keeps it down give him a little more in 30 minutes. You might have to wake him to get him to drink. Good Luck hope he gets well soon.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Fever (100ยบ F or greater)
    Headache
    Muscle aches
    Chills
    Extreme tiredness
    Cough
    Runny nose (more common in children than adults)

HE DOESN'T HAVE THE FLU! Most probably has a case of food poisoning or stomach virus.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Your son does NOT have the flu. The flu is RESPIRATORY!!! And in order to be diagnosed with the flu a nose swab needs to be done. Your son either has a virus or food poisoning. Keep him hydrated and that is about all you can do. A couple ounces of clear liquirds about every 20 minutes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• yes it will help
    sweetaspie57

Answer by sweetaspie57 at 7:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011