What to do with a clogged milk duct?

I haven't breast fed for 8 months and now I have a clogged milk duct. My breast is really tender and have a red lump on my nipple. Even though I stopped breastfeeding my body kept producing milk. Any suggestions on how to relieve this?

Babyduche

Asked by Babyduche at 8:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Health

• That is something that you need to keep an eye on. You can get an infection that can become serious. Try pumping and warm showers. If it doesn't clear up or if it gets worse call a doctor.
    ChattyWifePlus2

Answer by ChattyWifePlus2 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Ooooh! That is so painful! Try warm compresses. You can also take boiled cabbage and put it on your breasts to decrease your milk supply (eating cabbage will help stop the supply too).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I had the same thing happen...my Dr. just told me about the warm shower's and try t drink as little as possible b/c it will dry out your milk. I'd be careful witht he cabbage. My girlfriend did that to dry out her milk and it actually make her breast's shrink! Take care let us know how you are doing!
    Stacey
    SLK2007

Answer by SLK2007 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Massage and warmth (shower or compress) but massage the duck to get the milk broke up and out, you could gat an infection honey...I would see the doctor if I were you. Good Luck, I hope it gets better soon!
    jessicalynne521

Answer by jessicalynne521 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Do not pump unless you want to keep the milk coming. And do not drink as little as possible. Your body needs water for all of it's other functions. Do go to your doctor. It could be mastitis and you need that treated right away.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 10:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Been there. Get in a hot bath, submerge your breast and massage, its going to hurt, but you need to massage slowly and be patient. Do it now! The longer you wait the worse it will get. You should be able to get most of it out. If it doesn't all come out, you will probably have to take antibiotics... like I did, so try to get it all out. In some cases if it gets bad enough it will "pop".None of this is going to feel good, until it starts to drain. Good luck.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Call your physician if warm showers and massaging the area does not open it up.
    Bevner

Answer by Bevner at 2:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Now when I had this problem with my pregnancies the people told me to massage but they really didn't explain when they did it helped me. so here I will explain to you what is meant. where ever you have a clogged duct just put your finger behind the area and push toward your nipple to expell the milk. Do not take a warm shower I was told that that info was old last time we were at the hospital. It really makes sence not to because if you consider being hot stimulates your breast to make more milk then you are defeating the solution. So do massage and drink plenty and if you do have redness that starts to cover your breast then you need a antibiotic. I don't use drugs do I would suggest a natural one called Silver Sheild it is very good for any infection. Also keep the vitamin c coming just remember to eat so your stomach doesn't get upset with it.For the web address for the natural antibiotic e-mail me.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 11:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• In addition to all that has been said... if you see the duct blockage on the nipple and all else fails you can do this. My doctor told me to sterilize a needle and try to get the duct open my self. Not going too far that it would damage. But all my blocked nipples bleed when they opened up -- with or without needles. But of course try everything else first. My OB recommends 10 minutes of compress, try to expell the duct, then wait ten minutes before you but hot compress back on.
    tazzygurl611

Answer by tazzygurl611 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2008