Homework? How much time do your kids spend each night?

batjmom

Asked by batjmom at 1:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends. His Language Arts and Social Studies teacher (same teacher) likes to pile on big projects; before winter break he had to write an eight page story about Egypt and produce a scroll about King David. Tomorrow they're doing an Egypt Museum, and he had to put together a model of an Egyptian boat and write a speech about it. Each of those in themselves took a few hours in research and production.

And he has an earthquake model due in science tomorrow along with a one-page report; the model is done and took a few hours, and he'll finish the report tonight.

It would be worse if he wasn't allowed to use his computer for the reports, since his penmanship is horrible unless he writes VERY slowly.

Math would be the least time consuming if he didn't resist showing his work so much.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I spend two hours and he spends two hours.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If you're interested, the homework guideline in the U.S., endorsed by the National PTA and the National Education Association, says kids should get 10 minutes of homework a night per grade. A first grader would have 10 minutes of homework each night; a fifth grader 50 minutes.

Here's an article on why our kids are falling behind if you're interested: Why Students in Other Countries Are Doing Better Than Ours in Math and Science
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 1:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i have a 2, 3 and 5th grader. they all spend over an hour. but they are in accelerated classes and dwadle!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 1:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have one in kindergarden, first grade and third and mostly about s 30 mins to an hour is what their teachers assign them for homework
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• For my 5th grader it depends on what she has (if she brings any home at all). if it's math it could take an hour or more (she hates math). If it's something else it usually only takes her 20-30 minutes. She's been doing most of it at school (supposedly) so she rarely has homework.
    My 3rd grader gets a packet on Monday and it's due the next Monday so he does his whenever. He has to sit and do at least one page (or part of his math sheet which had 30+ problems on it) each night except Friday and then it all gets finished on Sunday. He usually spends 30 minutes doing homework. Same for my 2nd grader (her packet is due on Friday, though). It was more at the beginning of the year but now that they have the hang of the routine it goes quicker.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My 5th grade daughter has always spent a lot of time on homeowork. On average she'll sit at the table for 3 hours...sometimes more. Of course she isn't always on task...with 4 kids...it is impossible for me to monitor her every second. But she is happy...loves school and averages straight As with a sprinkle of high Bs occasionally. The homework guideline is bullsh*t...if a kid works at a certain pace and it works for them...leave them alone.
    mrs.ramirez

Answer by mrs.ramirez at 11:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son is 11, in grade 6. I try to get him to finish what ever he has. Then try to help him do some other little things just to try to get his skills up. :)
    Elle2778

Answer by Elle2778 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2011