CPS took kids from my sister for a dirty house, now a month later its just as bad, if not worse? what to do?

All I have to say is HELL YEA! I know this sounds harsh, but my sisters house was literly dangerious. I can't explain it any further than that, her sons room alone had broken peices of wood (from a dresser) and clothes piles (NO LIES) 3 feet tall- her sons crib had dirty diapers, wet moldey clothes and trash in it, so I have no clue where he had been sleeping-
her son crawls on top of grabage and old modely dishes to get from point A-to Point B in the house, I've never seen anything so, so HORRIBLE. I knew her house had been horrible, even dangerious before, but when it got to the point where she wouldnt let me in, I knew it had hit an all time low-
well, someone called CPS on her, not sure who, though I have my suspisions and CPS came in, took pictures and video of her home and removed the kids THAT DAY- The kids than came and stayed with me for 4 days.

n get this, what does she do???? She calls her friends, who came to her house to clean that sty (which took 4 days) and SHE WENT TO WORK while her friends stayed home and cleaned and orgnized that house.
First off, my house would never ever in a million years look like this, but IF IT HAD, and I got my kid taken away from me, you better bet I would call in, even if that ment I lost my jjob and cleaned my ass off to get my kid back before the night was though.
(which was offered to her, if she had the house cleaned by 5PM they would return her kids, which we all knew was an unrealistic goal.)
I commend CPS for doing that, protecting those kids from that enviroment, but ya know what, a MONTH LATER, and her house is just as bad again or worse, and I dont now what I should do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• is she a hoarder? she probably needs psychological treatment
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would call in to cps, then try to get more permenant custody. There is something mentally wrong with her but someone has to protect her babies when she is not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• GOOD for CPS! I know you love your sister but it would be in the kids best intrest toi call CPS again...when I worked with them and had to call on people for that reason they hooked the individuals up with the prevention branch of cps maybe she needs someone to go in there and TEACH her how to do it!?!?! If her house cant be safe for her kids then maybe its better if she does not have them
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• What can you do, to be honest? It's her life, and if she can't be responsible enough to simply keep her home clean, especially for her childrens health and safety, then i'm not exactly sure she deserves to have her children live in the same home as she does. I cannot stand a dirty home, let alone a kitchen LOL! But in all reality, if the kids could stay with you til' she gets her life on track, then thats what you can do. She needs to put forth more effort, I would be BUSTING my a$$ to clean my house if I was in her shoes, my children are my life, they get taken away, so does my life.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• There's really nothing you can do, other than agree to accept placement of the children as a kinship placement. If your sister refuses to work her plan, there's no forcing her to do it. Sad, but that's all there is to it. If coming to the place that her children were taken away from her hasn't woken her up, you aren't going to be able to fix it for her (by that, I mean trying to force her to work her plan) and it be best for anyone long term.

Best of luck - that's a horrible place to be in and as hard as it is, maybe tough love is all that she needs right now :(

AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Where r the kids now?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If the kids are still in custody, then there's no need to call CPS again - they'll be checking back. If the kids ARE back with her - CPS didn't just close the case, it doesn't work like that. BUT if the kids ARE back in the mess, I would make an anon call and report it again.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Call CPS again and take care of it that way! Personally the first time should have been enough to scare the crap outta her and now all over again, something is not right she need to have further consequences because of these actions can really cause harm to the kiddos.

Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i don't understand why you didn't do something sooner, if you knew about the situation before CPS was called by,um, someone else???
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• She might need some mental help. I would call CPS and ask them what you can do to help her. I would hope that they would guide you and your sister in the right direction. Does she want her children back? Does she have a drug problem? She might need some counseling and medication. good luck..I pray her family can work this through for the children. I would not want a stranger raising my children.
    Anonymous