Slow Cookers

So, how many moms LOVE them?

If you're a "committed crock pot cook" - how many CPs do you have? LOL

I just got number 5 for Christmas from my MIL :)

Crazy, huh?

I make EVERYTHING in mine, though, side dishes, main dishes, appetizers, drinks, cakes - the lists are endless. I even sometimes use one to make a potpourri of sorts to scent my home :)

AAAMama

Asked by AAAMama at 1:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I have 4, a small one for dips, a medium one for cooking family meals, and 2 large ones for parties, or when I want to make a large recipe to freeze.

so, yes.... I love them!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Do you have any good and easy main dish recipes for me?? I don't have one yet! I'm going to buy one soon though. I thought it might be easier to cook this way. I'm the single parent of a 5 month old, so I don't have a lot of time for anything really!
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i have two and going to get a couple more i like the fact that i could start cooking when i roll over at night and when i awake dinner is just about done, if i have nothing else to prepare
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 1:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• EverydayMomma - check walmart in your area - I noticed TONS of them marked WAY down last night!!

I'll get some recipe links for you after I get the soup on the stove :) I honestly love my slow cookers - they make life yummy and less stressful! :)
    AAAMama

Comment by AAAMama (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have one very large crock pot and I do live it! I wish I had a smaller one for weenies and stuff... we have a fondue pot we use often for that though. I LOVE my fondue pot also. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thanks so much! :)
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• EverydayMomma- I put a roast either pork or beef in with a bottle of my favorite bbq sauce and a sliced onion and let it simmer all day, for bbq sandwiches.

Put a roast in with carrots, onions, potatoes, some garlic, pepper and basil if you like, pour a can of beef broth (even if you use a pork roast) or a bottle of beer over and cook all day, delicious roast for dinner.

Put a pork or beef roast in with onions, garlic, pepper and basil, beef broth or beer (or both) and let it cook (no veggies) for french dip sandwiches.

Put pork chops, beef roast or chicken in the crockpot with a can of cream of mushroom soup (and a packet of onion soup mix if you like) let it cook all day, and serve over cooked rice or noodles for dinner (break up the meat when it's tender.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• At one point I had 3. We eventually downsized to just 1. I don't use it as often as I could, because these days our schedules work out that it's not inconvenient for one of us to make a "normally-timed" meal.

Our go-to crockpot dish:
    layer of brown rice on the bottom
    layer of frozen veggies
    spices/crushed garlice/etc
    layer of seasoned chicken (or a whole chicken)
    pour chicken stock over the top until it comes up to the chicken

You can use regular white rice instead (normal, not instant), but the brown rice adds a nutty flavor to it you can't get with white.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i have 6. and absolutely love them.
    babymomma101110

Answer by babymomma101110 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Only have 2, they make meals so easy and so good.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011