My son likes to yell at us

Our son (age 4) has a tendency to yell at my hubby (his dad) and I. It doesn't seem to matter what we do, he does it anyway. We've tried time-out, taking things away from him, not going and playing with his buddies, slapping his hands (gently), slapping his butt (gently), ignoring it, going to another room, and non of these has worked. What do we do??? How do I get him to stop and respect us more??? Help!!!

beautifulkellyd

Asked by beautifulkellyd at 4:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ahhh, welcome to my world...LOL My 3 year old did the same thing. We tried everything and did not get anywhere...What we did that worked and it sounds insane....BUT it proved a point to our son. Our son came into the room where everyone was and started yelling at us...SO I was tired of it and I started yelling things like HOW WAS YOUR DAY TODAY NIC{3year old son} He looked at me baffled and speechless...LOL I then yelled SO WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR DINNER? He just blinked...I AM GOING TO FIX DINNER NOW ANS YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN SO I DON""T TRIP OVER YOU...Then my 3 year old looked at me and asked"why you yellin' at me?" I said "because you yell at us all the time so I thought that is how you want to talk now"' He said No it's too noisy can you talk normal please? I said sure if you can talk normal too, please...He said Ok and hasn't yelled since.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 4:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• stuff a sock in his mouth, or duck tape lol i'm kidding. maybe if u give him a lil slap on his mouth he'll stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I agree with nyteowl. That's what I did with my son. He still gets a little loud sometimes, like in the car, and then I just tell him that if he keeps talking that loud, I'll be deaf and he won't be able to tell me anything. That usually quiets him down.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I completely agree with nyteowl! My son Caleb-3yr does the whole..Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom.. thing to me when i am busy with someone or something. So one of the times he did this at home..I started repeating his name over and over like he does to me.. he got mad and was like Mooom?.. why you do that? haha I told him thats what you do to me, and he really doesn't do his repeating thing tooo much anymore..HA HA
    klynn2

Answer by klynn2 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2008