• In the Spotlight:

What to do with all the info??

My teenage talks a lot and tells me things other teenagers are doing which includes sex and drinking, and one occasion drinking and driving. I know most of these kids but am not really friends with their parents although I have met most of them or am at least acquainted. What should I do with this info. I don't feel like being the town cryer but feel bad not saying anything to other parents.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• my daughter tells me alot too she is a very good girl and has a good head on her shoulders she tells me in confidence and that is exactly what i do with it i keep it confidential she trusts me enough to tell me these things and if i say something that is only breaking her trust. and most parents don't like to hear negative things about their children so if you tell it is going to back fire more then once on you. it sounds like your doing a good job with your child let the other parents deal with theirs good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The sad thing is a lot of the parents wouldn't care, even if you told them. I think the most important thing is to teach your child the importance of maintaining her high standards and that could mean that she will have to separate herself from some of these other young people. That will probably be more helpful to the children than would be telling their parents.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my daughter always could not wait to spill the beans so to speak, i have always been open with all my children , and now i have 3 teen sons and i am like there dear abby they tell me every thing and soem times it is mind blowing
    prettyinpinkme

Answer by prettyinpinkme at 9:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would talk to the friends when they are around and tell them that you are worried about them and "risky behavior". Also even if you have talked to your teen a billion times about sex protection and not drinking and driving or riding with someone who has been drinking reinforce that any time they bring it up.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would not say anything. I would talk to your DD about the things that are going on and I would make sure she knows what she can and can not do. I would be thankful that my DD is coming to me and that I have done something right when it comes to parenting.

If you are not really friends with these other parents then I would not talk to them. You have nno idea what they allow or if their children are talking to them as well.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:27 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• When my DD did that we would discuss what advice she could give her friends. She was Dear Abby and I was her secret source of experienced information.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:46 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Just concentrate on your girl! Keep that open relationship with her and let her know how proud you are that she keeps a good head on her shoulders...do not punish her for what others do.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Nov. 14, 2008