Mtv

When did you start letting your kids watch MTV? What age? Between the Jersey Shore and that skanky new show Skins Id be pissed if dd was watching. Granted shes only 4 now but in the future I dont know when id be ok with her watching shows like that. I wasnt even allowed to watch 90210 when it was on. I was young though. So whats the appropriate age?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• my 14 and 13 year old sisters and my 10 and 12 year old nieces are all allowed to watch those shows. it doesn't effect them negatively in any way. all of them are good, respectful, intelligent kids
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• At 16 I was able to be entertained by the absurdity of things without being influenced personally by them. Prior to that...the young teens and tweens and younger...how can you possibly know whether they've been influenced or not? They aren't grown enough to tell. The effects will come out in the wash when they ARE 15 and 16 and older! Who wants their children thinking any of that is okay?! If I was a parent to a kid like any of those Jersey Shore kids (or a great many other young adults on tv) I would love them, but I would be so embarrassed for them!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I was like 10 or 11 but MTV was not like it use to be 13 years ago. I use to watch TRL daily!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I haven't owned an idiot box since my kids were born. I hope they never watch that mind rotting trash.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2011