Medical Assistant or Dental Assistant?

If you are apart of one of these careers:
What do you like best about your job?
How many hours on avg do you work?
Do you enjoy your job or do you wish you would've went for nursing/dental hygeine?

My neice is considering both of these careers after she graduates HS in May. Thanks!

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 2:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• It is not easy. I went to school for Medical assisting and can't find work anywhere!!! The economy really is bad!! I see college grads working in fast food places because they can't find work in their fields.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I hear you dancer. I have my bachelors and not yet working in my field. I doubt I ever will.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Dental assistant here. I work 40hr/wk. And what I like best about it is I am a people person and I see all kinds of people from all walks of life each day. The job is like most jobs-- good at times, bad at times and stressful at times. One of the worst parts about my job (at one office) was I worked for an egotistical jerk who acted like he was "God's Gift" because he was A DOCTOR. Thankfully not all Dentists are like that.
    Anonymous

• How about talking to her about medical billing/coding.. Also rad techs are in big demand.. I'm in radiology myself right now.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am a dental assistant.
    I have a B.A. in a different field but can’t find a job....so, I went back to school for assisting. I am currently in the process of quitting my assisting job. I feel like I’ve been trapped in an abusive relationship with a pre-pubescent, four-foot-tall ego in a lab coat! Not since I worked at Burger King as a teen have I HATED a job so much!! Dentist only cares about how many people can be turned out and into dollar signs…AND partying on weekends.
    My coworkers are AWESEOME! Truely some of the most caring people I've ever met...but, the "black cloud" just overshadows any good the office has to offer. Most dental offices only employee a few people...so, if there is one "bad egg," it can spoil the bunch fast – especially if that bad egg is the dentist!
    (continued below).....
    blb724

Answer by blb724 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I make $14 per hour but I work my a$$ off for it. On your feet, running ragged for over 8 hours. Rarely have I had lunch and the only way I get a pee break is if I wheel the patient down to the bathroom with me. IT SUCKS! Everything will always be your fault and nothing you do will be fast enough, good enough or appreciated. AND, you’ll be expected to bend over and take it with a smile. Unless you are good at being a Step ford wife, I’d run like hell from this field….
    blb724

Answer by blb724 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011