• In the Spotlight:

Blocked Tear Duct - very fussy

My 5 month old daughter went to the dr today because her eye was awful seepy and cruddy. The dr said she most likely had a blocked tear duct. To anyone who has dealt with this before, does it make your child extra fussy ? She will not sleep for longer than 20 minutes at a time. It is 5am and she wont sleep. She will fall asleep and before I fall asleep, she is up and screaming. She wont calm down for a couple minutes of me trying to soothe her. Can a tear duct make her this miserable ? Or is there probably something else going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter had it at 2 months and i dont remember her being fussy you might want to give her some tylenol and ask her pediatrican when you can
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 5:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Nope my son had it and wasn't fussy...
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my daughter had a blocked tear duct from day one of life. we spent alot of time and money to figuar out it was a block tear duct. but after we found out what it was they told us to rub the stop pretty hard to produce tears it didnt seem to bother her much she cryed alittle. they also gave us eye drops to use for a week. Id like to give a special thanks to the childrens hospital of wisconsin
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 9:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My four year old son had a blocked tear duct when he was a baby and he wasnt fussy at all. There is probably something else going on. Also, his dr said that the blocked tear duct will usually fix go away by the time they are a year old. And it did.
    mommie020308

Answer by mommie020308 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my daughter has had a blocked tear duct since she was born (she is ten weeks old), it does not make her fussy unless I try to wipe off the crusties. she does not like having her face washed. I was also told by my ped to massage her eyelid once a day when she's eating to try and open it up...but that it could be a year before it goes away.
    Langleigh

Answer by Langleigh at 1:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2008