She's nothing like me!!

What do you do when you have a kid who is NOTHING LIKE YOU. She is a total tomboy but maybe more than that. When another friend talks about a girl coming on to her and trying to kiss her and she says no. My daughter says nothing and contacts this girl (not her friend) on the phone. What would you think???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• How old is she? If her behavior needs correcting then you need to do your job.
    Anonymous

• I would think you have an individual human being who is, perhaps, strong enough to be herself rather than 'what everyone else might expect of her'...

She might be expected, by a lot of people with authority in her life and a lot of power to influence her, to be a lot like her mother. And yet, she clearly stays herself.

She might be expected, by society at large and maybe some people a lot closer to her whose opinions matter a lot to her, to be a 'girly-girl'... and still, she is herself, instead.

She might even be expected to sniff around after boys when in 'that' kind of mood, but either doesn't feel that way about them generally or has never found one yet that she's interested in... which doesn't necessarily mean she's into girls. It may be that she's not 'into' anyone --yet. Perhaps she never will be. Some aren't.

Expectations are powerful sources of frustration and disappointment. Best to see what is, instead.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Our kids are who they are, not who we think that they should be

Answer by rkoloms at 3:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• what is your issue? are u afraid that she is gay? if shes young shes just curious. What do u want her to be like? My 5 year old is a complete nut job where Im shy but I love it, I love her differences.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 4:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011