Opinion on a Preschool Class

Hello!
I am a preschool teacher, and i wanted to get some opinions on how i can be a better teacher from a parent's perspective. I have tried comment boxs with the parents in my class, but i'm afraid they think i will recognize their handwriting and be biased (which i wouldn't!) I have younger three's, who are finishing potty training. We are a preschool that uses learning centers, and organized class time, and we are a half day program, that has an all day care option. I just wanted to see some parent concerns and some opinions on what would be the best case scenario in a classroom. (academics, social skills, fine arts, crafts, communication, end of year goals, etc...)

Ms.Wendy83

Asked by Ms.Wendy83 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You might try to send a form home like checking boxs so no one will be afraid of you knowing their handwriting. As for school you mainly need to give them the skills to move on to kindergarden. Like reading small sentences, maybe to get them comfortable for a bigger class, know their colors and shapes, just simple stuff like that.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• my son just started his first year of pre-k. he's three and goes two days for about two hours each.
    what really made me feel comfortable (since this is my first son and all) was seeing how comfortable he was around the classroom. so we got to do a tour before school started.

i didn't really have any questions since the teacher sends out a monthly newsletter and tells the parents every day after class what the kids learn and how it went.
    plus i really like that they keep the same routine every time. there is a giant time line that they look to daily.

my son's class goes over the month and the day every day and that's really cute~!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I am very impressed by the familiarity of the teachers with the students. The director is in the halls and the beginning of every day. She is greeting all the kids by name and friendly comments. The teachers have activities set up for the kids when they enter and they have choices and places to get involved with every day.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• One thing. When you teach letters, teach both upper and lowercase. I know the thinking is to teach uppers only because they are easier to write, but how many books are written in all caps?
    That's all I got for now. I like the other answsers :)
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 9:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011