How do I organize my house to make it look neat with an almost 4 yr old?

I live in a half a house, 3 bedroom, huge living room, dining room downstairs w/kitchen. And upstairs the bathroom and 3 bedrooms. My almost 4 year old has soo many toys (first grandchild on both sides), and I am a single mom, so I have to do all of this cleaning and maintaining this house alone. I just need some ideas so my house does not look soo messy all the time (its clean, but it just is not neat at all and my daughter's grandmother, not my side, is always making comments on how to clean my house... it IS clean, it's just FULL of toys...) And I don't have a lot of money to remodel the whole things, just need some small ideas.. especially with her Big toys... anything would be greatly appreciated :)

Tiamarie54

Asked by Tiamarie54 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I'm putting this in my sons play room

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Give most of it away. Or sell it. Just because someone gave him the toys, doesn't mean you have to keep them forever. It is overwhelming for most kids to have a snowdrift of toys --to many choices to make a choice, and too many distractions to focus on anything. And you can be genuinely grateful and still not keep them.

Select the items he seems to enjoy the most, the most often, and keep those --or select a class of toys he seems to like (Bionicles, or Lego, or Playmobil, Brio or whatever) and get rid of almost everything else. You'll feel super-wealthy getting to donate all those gently used, and often really popular toys... and your home will be calmer, easier to tidy and your son will still have everything he needs.

Which by the way is: love, security, a sense of personal power, freedom and fun.

Do you see anything like '7 thousand toys' on that list? Neither do I.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Put the toys in one room, preferably upstairs, and have a spot for each toy. Then have her clean up as she goes. Easier said than done, but kids like things to be tidy. I've found that the more tidy I keep things, the more likely it is that my kids will clean up after themselves. Also, sell some of the toys. The grandparents should understand that you can't keep all of it. Pick the stuff she's outgrown or doesn't play with and put it on Craigslist. We use the money we earn to buy special toys and treats that the kids pick out themselves, they love it!
    p.b.

Answer by p.b. at 3:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• baskets baskets baskets , also a great closet organizer for all the things with small pieces (make her have to ask to play with them) and put a lock on her closet door ........ closet organizer  get a book shelf even if its from a dollar store or good will and

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• searchPage=1&sr=1-6&qid=1294603223&rh=&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=price&frombrowse=1" target="_blank"> put these you can also find baskets at the dollar tree for a dollar a piece .these are great for stuffed animals etc You dont have to get these exact items you should look around for things that suit your family best , ottomans are good for quick clean ups when guest come over ,these are great two for shoes and jackets and toys somtimes lol! Just look at these pages get some
    ELIZABETHSMO902

• ideas ...a b c d ....Good luck
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Make one of the bedrooms her PLAYROOM, and install floor to ceiling adjustable shelves. Get the toy bin above for little things, and a large toy chest or storage style coffee table that doubles as a drawing/craft table!!

Shop for large wicker baskets on sale/clearance at craft stores like Michael's--you can spray paint them any color to match your decor so they don;t stand out. Super quick way to clean up, and allow for the occasional migration of toys to the main floor!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thanks everyone!! Yea, she plays with ALL of her toys, I don't know how she does it, and when she stops liking a toy or doesn't want to play with it anymore, she will tell me to give it to 'leelah' (my goddaughter) so we pack it up and give it to my friend.... she doesn't have anymore room in her house for anymore toys either now... I like the organizational ideas, they will be definately helpful! and as far as her grandparents... they are not the most understanding in the world.. thankfully it's gotten easier this year since me n her father aren't together nemore b/c everything they buy her HAS to stay there... wish is just a whole other issue :) haha.
    Tiamarie54

Comment by Tiamarie54 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We go through my daughters toys (she is 5) and we toss out anything that is broken or missing pieces. We make two piles of what she plays with and what she doesn't. The doesn't pile I take to the consignment store to make extra $. With the toys she is keeping we use baskets and clear tupperware to make what toys go where. She knows she needs to put the toys back in the correct spot when finished playing with them.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Have an area dedicated to the child's toys and then rotate them out (pack some away in rubbermaid containers) so EVERYTHING is not out all of the time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011