Do you allow your preschoolers to go to bed later in the Summer?

Do you change your preschoolers routine in the Summer to adjust for the sun going down later, playing outside later, vacations, etc? So I am wondering if anyone puts their 3 year old to 4 year old to bed later during these Summer months?

cldetary

Asked by cldetary at 8:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeah my boys all go to bed around nine now....it is to hard to go in at 7 to get them washed up.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• At first I wasn't going to but lately I have been. My son is allowed to stay up a little later too. I've been basically playing it by ear. If she starts to get really cranky then I know she needs to go to bed, otherwise I just put her down at 9.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Yea, my daughter is 4 and usually her bedtime is 8:45 but lately it's being about 9:30-10 before we get her to bed. But, she does sleep in a lil better of a morning.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• No, I keep it the same for the most part. My husband and I go to bed around 9:30 so my kids go to bed at 8. I need that hour and a half to myself or I'd go crazy! I let them stay up late once in awhile...like to see the fireworks or if we're at grandpa's a little too long.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My kids are older now, but we are doing now what we did then, bedtime is bedtime. It doesn't matter if it's summer, fall, winter, etc. They have their set bedtime and will go to bed at that time.

With that said we have had little "vacation" days for bedtime, like the 4th of July for example the kids stayed up to see the fireworks.

A day here and there is okay, but to do it every night or regularly in my opinion is a problem.... Beside hubby and I are in bed and asleep by 10 pm and like Renee we need our time without them.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I tried to keep it the same. My son does better on the 8-8 schedule he's given himself. However, with it lighter until 9:30-10 he hasn't been able to fall asleep or doesn't want to go to sleep until dark. It's hard to explain daylight saving to a 3 yo!
    brash511

Answer by brash511 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Most people do, try to switch back to the "school" routine 2 to 3 weeks before school starts, so he can get back in the swing of things if you choose to change bed time.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My daughter usually puts herself to bed between 8-8:30 she will tell us she is tired but if she doesn't say anyhting and we are out and about or we have company we let it slide other then that we try to start getting her to clean up and all that around 8 so we stay on schedule on the "off" fun summer days. She is 3 1/2.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• daisy usually goes to bed around 8, she is tired at that time summer really hasnt affected her sleeping routine, except for the 4th of july for the fireworks, or if we are visiting someone later than usual, but that doesnt happen often.
    daisykaren

Answer by daisykaren at 12:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I put my daughter to bed an hour later in the summer.
    sjdchbkr

Answer by sjdchbkr at 12:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2008