Who cares?

I may sound like a cynic but, do you think people REALLY care about anyone but themselves? Besides family. I just wonder sometimes. People that say they're friends really look out for themselves mostly. At least that has been my experience. Maybe I'm a terrible friend picker!

booksandhooks

Asked by booksandhooks at 3:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• sometimes i even wonder if family cares. but i do think that ppl do care about others. they may be rare and few but they are out there....somewhere!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 3:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Maybe so. I think plenty of us genuinely care about other people. I know I do!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think it's becoming more common for people to act selfishly most of the time.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Sometimes. I have always put myself last.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think there are good people and there are less good people. I do care about my family and friends. I've met some less good people but they are not even close anymore. I always give one more chance and if someone doesn't want it than I say bye:) No time and feeling wasters can come close to my family. At least not too long:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 3:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I wonder if it's not that you're a terrible friend-picker, but maybe have a poor understanding of what friends are.

We have a kind of Hallmark label, that makes people think that 'out there' are selfless, generous, helpful, capable people who have buckets of time in their lives and who agree with all our most-dearly-held opinions and whims. They're 'there for us' whenever, and however we need them --without having to say anything or ask.

Magic, in other words.

Fantasy.

Just like you, everyone else you meet will have a variety of pressures and demands on their time, money and energy. And limited time, money and energy.

And just like you, everyone else you meet will have a variety of opinions and preferences that you may or may not have ever really thought through or checked for consistency, and is as likely to be half-baked, ignorant and that kind of 'positive' that doesn't want any more facts.

Invite people.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The truth is that word "friends" is too easily used. You have to define what a friend is to you and what characteristics make up a true friend. Everyone has a lot of people we associate with but few of us have a true friend.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I try my best to be a gud friend/mother/sister/daughter/partner but there are days when I feel it very one sided. With some friends and even family members I seem to do all the chasing, Im the one who'l always text first or call and they never seem to, it almost seems like too much hassle for them.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 3:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Some people actually do care about other people.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011