best solution to get cat pee smell out of a mattress?????

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 3:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pets

• I used soap, hot water and bleach. I didnt smell it anymore but still replaced the mattress. We were going to anyway though. If you need advice like this then def check out Ehow.com I get the best How To advice from that site! GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• ::cringe:: get a new mattress? Have you tried enzyme cleaners? I would be afraid it would just be soaked in to deep to get it all the way out. Man I'm gonna bump you so maybe you can get a good idea!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• And in the future DEF buy a vinal mattress cover. Put one on every bed!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I am not a cat person. But I thought that cats didn't do that. Boy am I silly.

I would take it outside and completely drench it with water and disinfectent.

Let it saturate the whole mattress.

This has to be done on a warm or windy NO RAIN.

Let it dry completely-- outside.

Oh yeah don't let any cats on it.

The worst thing is that you have to trash it anyway.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• this is my 3rd mattress. i am running out of money and patience. it is only my sons room, and unforantly he doesnt have a door frame/door so i cant even close the door. we have him prop his bed up against the wall now when he isnt sleeping in it, but thats annoying also...
    JOR_HAIL

Comment by JOR_HAIL (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Go online to
    (
    I cant remember which petsite) but there is something called urase ?spelling google it. Its concentrated you mix it occording ly. Pour enough on mattress scrub. Soak up with toels. This works best because it has exzymes in it to #1 take the stink out #2 keep the cat from returning to the spot because they will, I had a very sick cat last year. Trust me it works and it did not ruin my brand new pllow top mattress.
    Good Luck!!!
    Arm and Hammer dirently on spots works too but better suited for rugs.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Is the cat fixed?.. I'd find the root of the problem, being the cat first.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Buy a good quality mattress cover/protector. That way if there are any accidents the cover need only be washed. I have those on all beds here but mostly to protect against period leakages or drink spillages! lol They are really good and worth the investment!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:13 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• there are mattress covers from walmart you can get my daughter spills her bottle all over my mattress and she just learned to take the cap off her bottle so you can imagine so i got a mattress cover and pill covers so if it happens we wash the comforter and pillows and its like new good luck (10-20$)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 6:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i heard scrub mattress with vinegar water and let air dry, but then again ive only "heard" that
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011