What is the rule in your state on this?

Perminate BC vasectomy and tubal ligation an example... In my state UTAH your spouse is required to sign paperwork before you have it done because a couple years back a man walked into a hospital and killed the doctor who proformed the procedure. So now they require that the spouse is informed and knows about everything so nothing like this happens again.. What happens in your state?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm in Utah as well and I was told you have to have at lease 3 children or be at the age of 27 unless a medical condition is involved then it can be done sooner, that's for only women. A midwife told me this after my first child.
    I was told a man can get a vasectomy once he turned 18. must be true since my brother did it when he was 19.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My state requires that the spouse sign a paper that they're ok with the procedure. This goes for tubals AND vasectomies

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• 25 is the limit for men in utah.. If your brother got it done sooner he is full of shit no doctor is going to preform that on a teenager he is young and may change his mind when he is older..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thats kind of dumb. IMO. I see why the idea started but if a woman wants an abortion the spouse doesnt have a say. So whats the difference? Your body your choice
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• as far as I know you just have to be 21 in my state (louisiana) or have atleast 2 kids....of course the drs try to avoid doing it if they can until your older...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 3:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Anonymous as I mention in my post. We have a genetic disorder in our family that waives us from waiting for the requirements.

I agree with Steph. Our body our choice.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• anonymous he may have had a medical reason why he had to have it done...my fiance actually good have it done bc of a medical reason we just don't have the money right now...cant remember what its called right now, but I could ask him if i need to
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 3:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I live in NC and my husband had to sign for me to get a tubal. There is no age limit that I know of, but my OB had told me when I was younger than he wouldn't do it on someone under 30 (because he's had too many patients coming back and wanting reversals). I'm kinda glad he wouldn't because I had seriously considered it after my 3rd at 27. At 32 I divorced my ex and remarried a man who had never been married/never had kids. It wouldn't have mattered to him if we didn't have any, but we now have two together and I'm so glad we were able to have them.

Answer by missanc at 3:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• In our state we have to sign either way but yet an abortion can be done without the fathers permission totally messed up
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• 21 yrs ago while stationed in Hawaii the Dr who did my husbands vasectomy required our youngest son to reach his 3rd birthday first. (we lost our second son shortly after birth). I didn't have to sign anything but the reason he had the vas. is because I was told if I tried to carry another pregnancy my life and the childs would be in danger. There was no minimum age..it was about the number of kids we had, on top of medical stuff.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2011