at what age would you/did you allow your child to start dating?

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 3:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• My dd is only 30 months old, but she won't be dating until she's a senior in high school. IMO, there's no reason for children to be dating unless they are at an age where they are seriously considering marriage or a long-term relationship.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My parents didn't care when I started dating. I started at 12.
    My kids won't start till they are 16 and that is group dating, they have to be 18 for single dating. I know I'm mean :)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It would depend on their perticular maturity level. I think 16 sounds good now considering dd is only 4 lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I was not allowed to date until I was 18!DH and I decided 30 is a nice age to let our DD start dating LOL! Actually we were talking about this last week we agreed 15-16 is a good age for her ...maybe ?
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have one son at the moment, he's 14mos but If I could think of the ideal age range I'd say 15/16, but I know boys usually get more leeway but at the moment I'd hope that's the age. Maybe 14??? I don't know, it just depends I guess on how mature he is, how old the girls are, etc.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• not sure. but i'd say we son't consider it until at least 14-15, then it depends on maturity level and what the date is (like a chaparoned movie would be ok, but unchaparoned, no).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• At 14 I allowed my boys to 'group date' The were allowed to single date at 16 so.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Dating (going out on dates) - 16

But "dating" itself can mean many things in this day and age. Are you talking about going out on dates or being in a relationship?
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would say 16 as well. We will see when we will be there. I started to date around that age but it wasn't any serious. I was 18 when I had my first real dating experience and when I really was interested in a guy. And we were together with that guy for 2 and half years. University, awwwwwwwwww....:P

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 3:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Our rule is sixteen.

When kids start dating too young, they can find themselves in emotional and sexual situations that they do not have the maturity to handle.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2011