Would you let your teenager get a tattoo??

When I was in the tattoo shop a few days ago getting my sons' names done there was this 16 yr old girl in there with her mom setting up an appointment for this young girl to get a tattoo. And this made me think how many parents would let their teenager get a tattoo.

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 3:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter will be allowed to get a tattoo on her 16th birthday. The catch? She has at least one year to think about it. As she gets different ideas of tattoos that she wants, we'll have the tattoo artist we know give her a temporary tattoo (probably using henna or Sharpie). We think that doing it this way, she can really figure out if she wants one or not. When she turns 14, she'll be made aware of what her 16th birthday gift from us will be. We want to make sure that she knows exactly what she wants and where she wants it.

I think if you give them options, they may not want things as much. When she starts talking about getting tattoos, she'll have the temporary henna tattoos in various designs to be absolutely sure.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Nope. In Illinois, it is illegal to tattoo anyone under eighteen.

I often tell my fifteen year old that if she wants a tattoo, she should picture it on her mother and grandmother first, then decide if that is what she really wants.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• 18 and no sooner. I will not be responsible for letting my child make a mistake they may regret. 18 is young but if they are able to sign on their own then its up to them. I know someone that took their 11 yo to get a navel ring. I def think thats way too young. 16 IMO would be the youngest. Its not permanent like a tattoo but def pushes men/boys to look where the shouldnt be looking
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• IMO no!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Of coarse. At 18, they are still considered a teenager then :)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i have many, and so does my husband. BUT IMO that is something that is everlasting. i do not want to be blamed for signing for a tattoo by my kid 15-30 years later bc he now HATES it! so, they can wait tiil 18!! :)
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 3:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• As long as I had a say in it, the answer would be NO!
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• At 18 I will take them myself if they want one. I have nothing against tattoos but if they choose to get something they regret later I don't want it to be 'well, you let me' I would hope they would put a lot of thought into something that is so permanent on their bodies.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• the only way i was able to get my tattoos was by have the pic posted near my bed for a whole yr. if i could look at it everyday for a year then i could get it. did that for my 18th bday
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 3:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Our rule is no tattoos and no piercings (other than ears) until our children are 18. Then they can make the decision for themselves.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2011