sort of kind of a question/venting lol

My son is 1o weeks old...and get can sit up on his own with support. I'm on the gerber website and they have menu's for supported sitters...but because of his age I have to call a hotline just get a menu...but i guess i should ask just because he can sit up with support is he still to young to have those types of food?

lovingedward

Asked by lovingedward at 3:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 10 weeks?! Yes he is way to young for solid food. Let him be a baby for a while.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Formula or breastmilk is all he needs right now. Don't start other foods too early.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes, he's too young for any food. If you want to go by developmental markers, wait until he's sitting UNsupported and has a good pincer grasp (picking things up between 2 fingers). By age, at least 6 months. 10 week old only need human milk or formula.

Remember, gerber is trying to get you to buy a product. It's best not to take infant feeding advice from them.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Don't push too fast, Mom - I know those new steps are so exciting but time goes SO fast, savor every single moment. He's pretty little for anything for formula or breastmilk yet, I would say.

Good luck and enjoy that precious little one :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• He needs to have milk or formula. Usually 6-month-old the first time when you can introduce solid food. I worked with children who started to eat solid food at 4-month-old but they were really big and hungry babies. Your son's body is not ready yet for solid food. He can react badly for the food plus if he gets an allergic reaction he can die straight away in anafilactic shock. A baby and feeding a baby is not a game. Be really careful with it.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 3:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My 3 girls were having cereal in their bottles by the time they were 4 weeks old (my preemie, by 12 weeks old), but I'm an old-school Italian, and I know Moms today follow the pediatrician schedules like CLOCK-WORK.......I think whatever u feel comfortable with, you gotta trust....
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 4:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes, 10 weeks is way too young IMO for anything other then breast milk or formula. Personally, I don't recommend anything else until at least 6 mos of age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i guess the reason i'm asking these questions is because if he is hitting certain developmental markers....shouldn't i feed him according to those?
    lovingedward

Comment by lovingedward (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• There is no developmental marker he could hit at 10 weeks that would demonstrate a readiness for solids. If at 5 months he's sitting up by himself and trying to pick up food and feed himself, yea... sure, go for it. That would be showing a developmental readiness.

"Supported sitter" is just a marker that the infant food companies came up with to describe the typical 4 month old. It doesn't mean that's when babies *should* start solids... it's just the youngest age they could get any support from the medical community and the younger babies start eating their food, the more money they make.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2011