Need advice, my 4 month old has a cold..

My 4 month old daughter seems to have a cold. Her nose is really runny and she starts coughing and choking on the mucus that runs down the back of her throat. She dosent have a fever. Id like to make her more comfertable. I have a 4 year old son but he never really got sick so I dont remember how I helped him if he ever got a cold at that age. Any suggestions?

ArmyWife15

Asked by ArmyWife15 at 7:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well.. bring her to a doctor. let him give you some specific baby medicine.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Try a humidifier. If you don't have one, put one big pot or a few small pots of boiling water on the stove. Or go in the bathroom with a hot shower running. That should help the mucas lighten pretty quick
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Thanks! I put the humidifier in her room and i bundled her up. I am going to call as soon as her doctors office opens up.
    ArmyWife15

Answer by ArmyWife15 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You don't need to take your kid to the Dr every time they get sick. If he is running a fever less than 105 just give him a fever reducer and if the fever is lasting more than 3 days call your pedi and see what they say. Try at night propping him up so he doesn't get stuffy, like maybe in his car seat, or just put something under his mattress. Babies can sound congested and as long as they aren't having a hard time breathing DR won't do anything unless it's been an extended time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Try Baby Vicks on the neck and chest. It helps my son with his allergies and soothes them
    ziggysmom2008

Answer by ziggysmom2008 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Just my opinion, but was told not to put the vicks on their chest. I used to when younger and still use on my 18 month old...put some on the bottom of their feet and cover with socks...works wonders!!! Good luck.
    Rickysmom507

Answer by Rickysmom507 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would not take her to the doctor unless she has a fever or is having trouble breathing. My little one who is also 4 months old has a cold also. I put vicks on the bottom of his feet and a tiny tiny bit on it's chest and I bought the vicks vapor plugins and they have worked wonders. His cold is almost gone. Be sure to suction her nose out really good before bed! Good Luck. I hope the cold gets better.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 9:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You can also try using saline drops in her nose. Just drip in a couple drops let them set for a few seconds and then suction out. It really helps break up the mucous so she can breath better to eat. Also a humidifier really helps also.
    Soulmonkey08

Answer by Soulmonkey08 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Try Johnson & Johnson's Vapor Bubble bath. I just used it for my 4 year old and Infant. They had a cold at the same time. It's just a temporary fix. But it helps their sinuses feel better so they can get a good nap in or at least a decent night's sleep. The more sleep they get, the faster they'll get over the cold.
    T.Beannie77

Answer by T.Beannie77 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2008