which is better for you and why?

My daughter drinks juice. And while I do make my own, sometimes I cheat and buy them. Most of the time from either Costco or Ollies. This way they are cheaper.
But when I get condensed tend to get orange juice frozen and the rest non-frozen.

So which do you get frozen or non? And why?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 3:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The question is what is better for you? NOT what is healthier for you?

What's the difference? These are essentially the same question. Anyway all juice is mostly sugar. Fresh fruit is best.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• ive done both, but my kids arent big juice drinkers, they drink mostly milks and water. i think i prefer frozen.
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 3:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It doesn't matter. The process is the same:

Oranges are crushed without peeling, which puts orange oil into the juice. It's tremendously bitter, so plain white sugar is added to precipitate the oil out. Lots of the sugar dissolves into the juice, which is a convenient 'accident' but it's a Process, not an Ingredient, and because labeling laws are written by weasels, it is legal to say 'unsweetened' on the label because that's not Why the sugar was added. Cute, eh? Oh, and all commercially-prepared oj has 'flavour packs' as an expected, unlabelled additive. Yay.

Juice is food that has been stripped of 99% of its nutrients while keeping 100% of the calories. It impairs children's growth (they get wider instead of taller, because of the missing nutrients) and contributes to type 2 diabetes.

It's cheaper at Costco and Ollies because they buy the lowest grade of foods legal for sale.

Best to offer whole fruit and plain water.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Ok two of you are not paying attention to the question. The question is what is better for you? NOT what is healthier for you? I wanted to know why you buy either type.
    I am curious, why do you say all of the nutrients are gone? Does this happen when I make my own?
    As for the sugar. I thought everyone knows it is there. That's why you water it down twice more than they say on the can...
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Water...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes there is a difference. Is it better for you- convenience wise- to get frozen or canned? Is it better for you-pricewise- to get frozen or canned?
    Better selection one way or another?

Fresh fruit is best. Everyone knows this. But that has nothing to do with the topic on hand.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Seriously, when some one asks what is better for you I am thinking they mean health wise. When you ask which is more convienant or cost effective I will tell you that. Having said that and now knowing what you mean... I give my kids ready made juice for convience. I prefer it to frozen and I tend to buy the more nutritional ones and I dont let cost be a factor because I prefer they eat fruit and drink water or milk. Juice is one cup a day
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 12:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I get your question, and yes, too many unnecessary answers. I usually buy bottled 100% juice, because it's easier. But we don't drink much juice at all, so the price doesn't bother me. I grew up drinking frozen, non-100%, and yeah, I wasn't a fan of it, so I rarely buy it.
    Anonymous

• I like freshly squeezed, so i buy Simply Orange. I suppose eI could just buy oranges but they are not local to the NW and can get a little pricy for how many you'd have o squeeze. I'm sure there is a frozen concentrate without any additives as well. Just read the label. It should just just say Orange juice and nothing more. Oh and we buy cranberry juice too off the shelf, but I always make sure its 100% cranberry not 95% apple and 5% cranberry. You have to watch the labels 100% juice does not always mean 100% of the kind of juice you think you're getting.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 4:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2011