If you had the option, would you rather hire someone to come to your home and watch your child or put him/her in daycare while you work/go to school?

I'm a full-time student and I'm employed full-tim as well. I'm 9 weeks pregnant and after the baby comes I will have one more year of school to attend and then I will have my degree and hopefully a better job. I do not have any family around here, expect my Aunt (she disowned me for getting pregnant out of wedlock) and the baby's dad will not be involved...he left me before I found out out I was pregnant and when I told him he said it wasn't his...which is impossible as I lost my virginity to him and we only had sex once so we both know that it's his but sorry...I'm getting off topic. My question is...if you were in my position...would you find someone locally to come to your home and babysit or would you put your baby in daycare. He/she will be VERY little when I start back to school and I'm kind of torn...I don't really want to put the baby in daycare cause I'm afraid he/she will get sick all the time but I don't know anything about this stuff! I'm all on my own ladies, can someone give me some advice?

menko21

Asked by menko21 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have done both. I prefer a daycare setting where there is more than 1 care giver. The upside (we used a nationally known school with an attached infant center and pre- school): 1) they were open from 6-6 except for major federal holidays, so no last minute shuffling for sick, late, missing, vacationing car givers and 2) there were more than 1 set of eyes, ears and hands available- 1:1 can be scary, especially with little ones who can not speak up or tell you if there are issues. The downside to the center is communicable diseases. My second child was sick for the first 2 years of his life, but rarely missed any time when he entered real school.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• First off, I'd like to say, kudos 2 u for being so brave for flying solo on this, I think that's wonderful! Secondly, if ur finances allow I would do a stay at home babysitter/nanny just for a while until ur little one is a little older. I have a home nanny, and I LOVE her...so convenient. But if finances don't allow then obviously u will have to do daycare, just make sure u do ur homework and check into many different daycares before making a decision. Check their reputation, and some have webcams u can check in on ur child with....ask friends or co workers who have children, maybe they can give u a good recomendation. Good luck mama 2 b, if u have any questions or need any other advice, u can message me!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 5:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If I trusted people in my home I would say have them come there but I don't trust many peopleso I would take them some where else
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I put mine in daycare-that's what worked best for us. He's 9 now and has some really great memories from when he was in daycare. I think it's really a personal choice though, what ever YOU feel comfortable with.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's whatever you are most comfortable with but have background checks on anyone you consider and fingerprinting if you want. You can't be too careful. I do childcare and had my prints done for one family. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If it were me I would go with the daycare as I feel that would be a lot safer than hiring someone off the street to come into my home and watch my child. Daycare providers are certified, licensed and required to meed certain criteria (like first aid, CPR) and some places (like my children's former daycare) are also required to have early childhood education classes as well. Plus I know that anyone who is hired by a daycare is carefully screened and their background is checked.  

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have been a nanny for 10 years now. I would employ a nanny with qualifications and experience. In a day care your baby won't get the attention he will need. I worked in a daycare as well. But I wouldn't send my child there until she would be 1 and half year old. And in England there is an age limit (6-month is the youngest you can send to the day care). And a mother gets the child benefits until the child is 6-month-old. I am not sure how it works where you live. Or I would try to find a mum who has young children to look after mine. But I wouldn't let my baby under 4 or 5 month old alone. With anyone.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I had a similar situation
    I took the last trimester of my pregnancy off from school, plus the next semester, so a whole year off because I wanted to bond with my baby as much as possible. I graduated high school early so alls I did was lose my lead, so I'm with my class again as a sophomore in college, at 19. I now work about 30 hours a week, my SO works 24 hours a week and has a side bizz. I take 16units and SO takes 8. We just plan so that we are always home and if we have overlapping schedules which does happen, we have my mom or sis help out.

TBH with you, I'd think about how much time you want to have with your baby, especially in those prime bonding months. Take up some online classes thru ur college, or take time off to bond via FMLA. WHile you take that time off, get the DNA done and child support in order. Good Luck. Finish as much as you can now, you might want to take up that time off.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My choice would be to go through a nanny service and one come into my home. Just having someone come into your home doesn't mean you have to go get them off a street corner. I know there must be good daycares out there, but I've heard more bad than good from my family and associates who have used them. I won't even go into my own experiences in them when I was younger but the short story is I won't have my kids in a daycare for as long as I can avoid it and even then I'd work nights to avoid those places. Yes daycares are licensed and workers are supposed to be versed in first aid and CPR but that doesn't mean a lot when they have more kids than they can handle, illness is passed around more than they like to admit and some during certain hours like to hire teenage girls with little or no experience in childcare to fill gaps in the schedule. Unfortunatly daycares pay little and expect a lot from employees.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• day care was our option, for the same lack of family or close friends reason. It has done wonders for him and he hasnt been sick at all, at least from there. He loves to play with others and has done well. This has been our success. Good luck to you and hope you continue to have a healthy pregnancy.
    TiggerNemo

Answer by TiggerNemo at 1:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011