what are your thoughts on cremating?

MY sister passed away last april and my family wanted to cremate her. I was upset that they wanted to do it cause I personally couldn't bare to know that my sister was burned to ash. I know its silly and that she was already dead but it was just hard on me to think about it. My grandmother just passed away 5 days ago and they are going to cremate her and again it bothers me to know that they will be burnt to ash. But that is my own personal feelings about it and I know my family decided this cause its best but again its still hard to think about..

( i have no idea where to put this)

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 4:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah not happening here I can't stand the thought of being burnt. I know I'd be dead but yeah...
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I am all for cremating, and want to be cremated myself. I just can't see taking up all this room in the earth with dead bodies- eventually we are going to run out of room to bury them.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i want to be cremated. i dont like the idea of bein gput in the ground and having potential bugs eating me! imo. i also dont want a funeral/wake.

JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 4:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I had my husband cremated and I want to be cremated. To me lying in a box to rot is very unsettling to me.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's a subject where not everyone is going to agree, that's for sure. Personally I want it done to me, I don't want my body rotting in the ground with god knows what feasting on me. That for me is 100 times worse than being ashes and dust.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think it ridiculous to use up land space for dead bodies. Once that land is used for burial,you can never use it for any other purpose. Once you die,the person you were is gone. What's left is just a shell.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I'm all for cremating. The bodies are just put in the ground for the bugs to eat. I see no point in putting bodies in the ground.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think if thats what the person or family want done then so be it.

In reality, doesnt really matter what you do with the body, its gonna become a part of the earth one way or the other.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Perhaps the Religious Debate would be a good place? I dunno...

Anyhow... I prefer the idea of cremation to wasting valuable growing space --have you ever noticed that graveyards are always lush, green rolling hills which are ideal for growing food? Isn't there a shortage of land for growing food in the world?

How do you like the idea of the body being eaten by bacteria? How about deteriorating into what is effectively squishy soap held together by wet skin?

The thing is, because the body is dead, now it's either something's food (our own internal bacteria, maggots, vultures, rats and crows) or it needs to be removed from the world of things that are possible to eat --drying, preserving, mummifying, freeze-drying or burning.

The Tibetan Book of the Dead says it is important it is for us to really understand our process, from oblivion through conception to death, decomposition and oblivion again, to understand life at all.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Personally I would want to be cremated. I don't like the thought of my body being put in dark hole in the ground.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2011