sippy cups

im trying to wean my 12 month old off bottles, what are your preferences on sippy cups? and which one do you think is most like a bottle? for easy transition?

edensgarden101

Asked by edensgarden101 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The ones with the Silicone spouts seemed to work best for transition to me.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Silicone spouts do work best for my dd, too. You kind of have to try different brands and find out which works best for your LO, though. DD likes Nuby soft spout and Tommee Tippee ones with the silicone spout, I forget what they were called, though.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I bought all kinds, and you know which ones my son likes the best? The cheap toss-and-go ones that you can buy just about anywhere. They don't have anything fancy, and I was afraid that the lids would come off easily, but they actually don't. You can buy about 5 for a few dollars, and they are dishwasher and microwave safe. They're so cheap, too, that if we lose one, it's no problem!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I love the cups that First Years makes. They are not similar to a bottle, but I LOVE them and recommend them to anyone. They have built in valves, and if you don't put the tops in the dishwasher, they last a LONG time without even a single drip leak.

I usually get them at Target and Walmart, but just for the sake of showing you what they look like, here's a link to them on Amazon. The price on this link is more then I pay in Target, FYI.
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Learning-Princess-Insulated/dp/B0009MASHO
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I completely 100% agree with busimommi! I bought soooo many different sippy cups that I could open my own sippy cup store and he wouldn't take a single one.. Then I tried the cheap take and toss kind and bingo! That's the one he likes! And I've met others who feel the same way. It's not like a bottle... but isn't that the point! :)
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 4:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Mine just went from the bottle to the Platex sippy cup. The Nuby ones with the soft spouts are usually what parents find easiest, but my son either wanted a bottle or a cup- no hybrids. So, the Playtex sippy is the one he likes. (He thinks he is big using it, too. Hasn't fussed a bit about it.) Really, the main thing about transitioning from bottle to cup is to just quit with the bottle all together. If they get both, they think they can choose which they prefer. Just toss (or box in the basement) the bottles and start on the cups. With no options, they'll drink out of whatever to get their milk.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 5:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• our son went from using a bottle to using a straw in a cup!

for on the go type of things, we used the soft nuby or the Playtex....
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My son liked the cups/bottle by nubby. Its a bottle with handles and has a nipple but comes with an interchangable spout so you can use it as either one. After that we moved to regular sipppy cups with silicone spouts.
    Nicolenew

Answer by Nicolenew at 8:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i bought a ton of sippys!!!! she likes the nuk ones at first and now will drink out of any kind! im starting her on a straw next week! :-)
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2011