Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


I have custody of my DS. I don't feel it's safe for my DS to be around his father, without supervision, until his dad gets help (rehab, therapy). When/If he does get help, I'm wondering, if anyone knows how a court will typically arrange visitation.

The day I left him he tried to lock himself in a room with my DS. When the police got there they got the door open and my DS had a bloody nose. We don't know how he got it but it's in  the police report. Another time (after I already had full custody) DS's dad tried taking my son from me (literally tried pulling him out or my arms), and wouldn't let us leave ( took DS over for a visit). My ex was throwing stuff at me and trying to hit me (I had my son in my arms) again this is in a police report. Is this enough to grant SUPERVISED visits.


Asked by myree85 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 23 (15,595 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • yup b/c you have police reports. A lawyer is advisable but I'd start with asking for him to have a psych eval and esp. ANGER MANAGEMENT, PARENTING and co-parenting classes etc. and drug tests if applicable and then supervised.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • You will have to be able to show that he is not safe around his father for them to not give him normal visitation.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • if you have a lawyer, you could call them. but i think they could appoint another family member of his side that you would be comfortable with having your ds around for the supervised visits.

    Answer by dreamangel06 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • If it's proven that your DS is in an unsafe environment then the judge could suspend visitation or grant supervised visitation with an officer of the court.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • I am most likely sure they will grant supervised visitation, either with a mutual party (someone appointed from court, someone that gets paid to supervise) OR someone in your family of agreement. I wish you the best of luck, and to your son.

    Answer by knicole0708 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • I would think by bring the police reports you could prove he isnt fit for visitation and it needs to be supervised.

    Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • Document, Docuument, Docuement.. My ex was similar,,Mymlawyer ntold me tobkeep a log of calls visits what he said if nmyson was or appeared upset etc, call cops anytimes you see suspect danger.

    Answer by 21lisa72 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • You will have to be able to prove that he is not safe for your son to be around. Then he will only be able to see your child at someone else's house.

    Answer by Misteh at 4:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2011