My great uncle is a medicine man for our tribe..

He hates my family cause my mom married a white man and when we were younger he would call us the plastic babies cause we were white. My mom was/is still his favorite niece even though she has been dead for almost 16 years. He wants us to come visit now and I don't know if we should cause he was mean to us when my mom wasn't around. All my other family were very nice but he wasn't.
What would you do?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 4:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Life is too short to harbor grudges and anger. They never hurt the other person anyway..they just eat you up on the inside. Go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Providing you think that you are safe I would go and visit him. I think forgiving and forgetting is a big part of life and if we don't do it how can we expect people we have wronged to? Sounds a bit too serious when I put it like that but yeah!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Give him a chance. His prejudices kept him from having a relationship with you and your siblings. Perhaps he has seen the error in his ways.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would give him the chance, see how it goes. If you still want to build a relationship after this visit, then go for it. If it goes badly then you don't have to do it again.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt? Times change and maybe people do as well. Just cause you are visiting, do yo have to stay WITH him or stay at a hotel or families house? This way you won't be obligated to be around him the whole time.

Sorry to hear he was not so kind to you when you were younger. Maybe let him know how much you respect him and your native american heritage and how much your Mom loved him.....maybe this will soothe his feelings a little bit.

Good luck!!!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think this might his way of making amends to you and your family. I would give him the chance to do that. Harboring resentment against him won't add anything positive to your life, although your discomfort is completely understandable and justified. Just give it a chance. If it doesn't feel right, you don't have to go back.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would not go visit him. Maybe go to visit other family members.

Answer by louise2 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2011