how do you get your teen to do his/her personal hygiene

neng999

Asked by neng999 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My son is very vain nothing has to be done. He is also a future Marine so he wants to be his best.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• When my cousins have visitors from Europe (which happens pretty often) they hand over a Bathing Kit. Then, because they're not shy and they know how people in North America respond to typical European hygiene, they hold up each of the products one at a time and explain their use, and the frequency of their use:

This is antiperspirant. Although you are accustomed to the normal smell of human bodies, in North America we bathe every single day, and after we bathe, we apply this product to our underarms to avoid the normal smell of human bodies.

This is shampoo. Although you are accustomed to the normal smell of human hair, in North America we wash our hair every single day, using about a tablespoon, lathering it well and then rinsing it well. If we have dry hair, we follow it with the same amount of conditioner, which we leave on for a minute or two before rinsing well.

This is a shave cream and a razor....

You get the idea.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• have him go on a date with a girl and let HER point it out...that'll embarrass him into fixing himself. Guaranteed... No guy wants to be embarrassed around cute girls.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• LOL, it's funny becasue my teenager hates to take a shower and while he brushes his hair and his teeth there are days he doesn't wear deodorant. I tell him to take a shower all the time and at this point I have decided to let it go. If he wants to stink I let him because at some point his friends are going to get on his case and then he will learn.

I believe there is only so much we can do and I am not about to force him into the shower.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• One tactic is to take him/her shopping with you and let them pick the scent/kind of product to use. For some reason, if they pick it, they like it and are more likely to remember to wear it. For other things, like taking a shower or brushing their teeth, you just have to be direct. You will shower daily/every other day/ whatever is reasonable to you. You can shower in the morning or at night, but it must be x frequency. You will brush your teeth morning and night. I'm not paying your dental bills if you won't even try.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 5:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Middle school - it takes some pushing and prodding. Then comes high school and the discovery of GIRLS!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Girls are discovered in middle school but not to the extent of High School. "Just sayin'".
    Since most guys can't "date" until high school the effort isn't started until more into high school.
    And this is from experience.....I've got 3 male "children".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My kids dont have a choice. Its disgusting to be dirty, so your going to wash your ass..even if you dont want. point blank.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2011