do you think healthy eating is expensive???

neng999

Asked by neng999 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Health

• I sure do!!! :)
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 5:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• no
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• organic eating is expensive. healthy eating is not if you know how to shop, where to shop, how to shop the sales, and how to use coupons
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think it depends on what you're buying. I have been on a diet/lifestyle change for almost 2 months now and I haven't noticed a change in my grocery bill. If anything I'm saving money because I'm not eating out
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• For us, it's a lot more expensive, but we have to drive about 40 miles to the nearest whole foods store and our town has one grocery store and one walmart, not a lot of options.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• no, it's actually cheaper if you buy fresh fruits and veggies :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Compared to what?

The treatment for diabetes? The care for heart disease? The cost of being 800 pounds?

The ingredients may appear to be more expensive, but for all the 'cost per pound' might be higher, the 'cost per nutrient' is much, much lower. And one of the things Covert Bailey taught me in the 80s was 'if you want to survive on Twinkies, you're going to have to eat a truckload' --your body needs and wants nutrients. When a food is very, very low in nutrients, you will find yourself eating more and more just to get what you need.

The opposite is also true: when you eat nutrient-dense foods, hardly any is more than enough. That's why paying $28 for a plate of fine dining is often much more satisfying than paying $8 for a platter of 'good deal' at a cheap restaurant.

Try eating 1/2 a cup of really good ice cream sometime... compared to eating 3 cups of cheap, air-filled 'frozen dairy product'.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Junk is way cheaper
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 5:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• yes and I hate it. Esp when we get something that goes really fast, I have no choice but to buy the not-so-healthy item just to make it last and be cost effective.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• No, not if you're smart about what you purchase. Don't purchase prepackaged dinners or frozen dinners and you're pretty golden. It's when you start buying prepackaged meals is when you start to rack up the bill.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2011