Is there ever a point where you just give up?

Reltionship wise, what would be your breaking point, the point where you just give up and walk away? Or do you believe that anything can be worked through?

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 5:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• I think if they don't care about you at all then that is the time to give up. Where there's still love there's still hope.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes. I've been at that point. Somethings are beyond working through.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• What things are beyond working through?
    bjojola

Comment by bjojola (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My breaking point would be infidelity.

Answer by older at 5:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I don't think I could ever get over being cheated on. It happened in my 1st marriage and it was devestating.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 5:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• infidelity
    abuse
    addiction he refuses to get help or give up
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If they never listen or compromise, just keep doing what they want without regard to your wishes and completley blow you off, disrespect you or undervalue what you have to say.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• yeah adultery is a given deal breaker for me too
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• There are things that do not deserve a chance.. Infidelity, Abuse (Verbal or otherwise), and Refusal or failure to get proper help when addicted to a substance are ones that I can think of. Then there are those that if it has been tried and tried again it just doesn't need another chance. For me it's when the other partner refuses to see my side, doesn't want to benefit the relationship, or we're going around in circles and can't find an end to it all.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My breaking point is crime. But I made that super-clear right at the get-go (and I can be pretty intense when I have a message to deliver), and have never wavered. I don't think crime is 'cool' or 'macho' -- I think it's selfish, childish and the cissy answer to anything. It's 'tough' to have values, and morals and ethics and character and determination and fortitude. And maturity --although he's still working on that

Because my expectations were genuine --what I expected came with no mixed messages, ever-- it was easy for dh to go along to get along, with nothing coming at him from left field. When I say I don't want something, it's not a hint that I do. Et cetera.

I think the majority of problems in marriages come from saying one thing and meaning something else and hoping the person who isn't in your head can guess what you really mean, when it comes down to it. Disappointment grows well there.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011