?

Is it legally considered neglect to not have a bed for kids and make them sleep on the floor?

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, CPS says that EVERY child in the home MUST have their own bed. Even if they don't sleep there every night they must have their own bed, no sharing, no floor.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• No, it's not illegal for children to sleep on the floor.

But CPS/DHS (in my state) will not put children in a foster home without a bed and some place to store their clothing. They also don't approve children in foster care to sleep on couches.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I know this because my dad got CPS called on him, they did a tour of his house and he had to show that each of his sons had a bed (even thought the younger one is only there every other weekend). He was having my brother sleep on the couch and the social worker said that is not good enough, everyone has to have a bed
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Of course not.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• No
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Like directly on the floor??
    I believe it would be if CPS was called

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I don't know. I think states may vary on that. Personally, I don't think so. As long as you have 2 inches of bedding underneath you should be fine. ( I know CO requires that much for a napping period for licensed childcare facilities)
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Nope. I know a girl that keeps popping out kids and she has a one bedroom place. She sleeps in the bed and the kids get the floor in the living room.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• no bedding underneath....not just a weekend camp out but no beds for the kids....
    mommymeg03

Comment by mommymeg03 (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• @ Mommy - I don't see it illegal. Food, clothing, shelter... necessities. Furniture isn't a necessity.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2011