WHY do you believe in the religion that you believe in?

I'd like to change religion and look for the truth but I want to know WHY you believe in what you believe in. I.e. If you're a Christian how do you know that it is the truth and that Jesus was the son of God?

Or if you're a pagan, does this not worry you because there is no hope of an afterlife? Does it not scare you?

I'm looking for something to believe in! I've been reading books/watching dvds for weeks and I'm just losing hope.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm atheist. it doesn't scare me that there is no afterlife. I would rather focus on the here and now than worry about something that may or may not exist. When I finally came to my conclusion that there is no god, I felt very much at peace. Things finally started to make sense.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Or if you're a pagan, does this not worry you because there is no hope of an afterlife? Does it not scare you?

Pretty much every pagan religion has an afterlife, as do pretty much all the religions which are neither Christian nor pagan.  Mine is right because it's right for me.  If you're really curious, start with the belief net quiz:

Belief-O-Matic

And then, based on what answers you get, you can research them more on that site and get even more info at sacred texts

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Well, I believe, not because I've been taught to, or anything, I believe in God because He's proven to ME over and over how real He is, and what He can and does do in my life when I let Him, and rely totally on Him. He knows far better what's best for me than I do, and anything I do is just going to get in His way. He's proven He hears and answers my prayers, He's there to comfort me when I need it. He sent the man to me 22 years ago, who loves and cares for me as He wants. But, why? I can't answer it specifically. I believe because I just KNOW. I don't have to "see God" to SEE GOD! I see Him everywhere and in everyone and everything there is. He saved my life, then He saved my soul. He gave me life,then He gave me life everlasting. We belong to an Assembly of God church, which teaches straight out of the Word of God, and it makes it very easy to see Him through it. Best wishes, hope you find what you are looking for.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I know it is the truth for me because I have faith that it is. (I am Christian)

To me, Jesus is the Son of God because the Bible says so. To me, the Bible is from God and of God. In order to believe the way I do, you have to have FAITH.

Study the Bible with your heart and soul, and seek Him. In all honesty, there is no "proof" I guess you can say. Is there evidance that stories in the Bible are real? sure. Is there evidance that the men who wrote the Bible were inspired by God, no, it is your FAITH in God that makes it clear.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If I say. "Because it's the truth!" I'm going to get a million down votes..but that it the first answer that comes to my head.
    You need to know what kind of God(s) you believe in to narrow it down.
    Have you read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis? He starts with "is there a God" then goes on to "what type of God" and finally discusses why a Christian God is the truth.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I don't believe in any religion, I belive in GOD, truth, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 6:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• to annoy the atheists. that is what they seem to think anyway
    Anonymous

• I'm an atheist because I don't believe any gods exist.   The thought of no afterlife doesn't scare me and I really don't know why.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I'm a Pagan. I came to this point because it just made sense to me and felt right. I felt peace and like I was "home" or something. As far as the afterlife, I don't know any Pagans (not saying there aren't some out there, just saying that I haven't met one) that DON'T believe in something after death. I personally believe in reincarnation (many of us seem to believe in some form of it). I believe that we're reincarnated until we've sort of "perfected" ourselves and lived in every path of life (ex: being abused, being an abuser, being a Christian, being a murderer, dying young, being poor, being wealthy, etc.). It just doesn't make sense to me that some people get it easy and some people barely make it unless we have multiple lives to live through. I believe that in the end (after the last life), we either enter a sort of "heaven," merge with the Universe/The All/Divinity, etc. or become guardian spirits.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• LOL NotPanicking, I forgot about the Belief-O-Matic! I love that thing.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2011