Baby Food

When you started your baby on baby foods, how often did you feed him/her? Breakfast, lunch, dinner? My son is five months old, and I was wondering how much baby food he needs. I know formula is still supposed to be the main way for him to get his nutrients, so how often should he eat.

EverydayMomma

Asked by EverydayMomma at 5:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our doctor told us a long time ago that he was ready for this, so please don't tell me not at all.
    EverydayMomma

Comment by EverydayMomma (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• it's been a while since we were in the baby food era, but i'm going to say he had a small jar a day...

some for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

never feed your baby straight from the jar unless he or she is going to finish the whole thing in one sitting. the saliva that could sit in it could be dangerous.

also, have you used baby rice? my son liked that in the morning....
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thanks. We've done the rice since he was 2 months, and at our 4 month visit we were given the go ahead for the baby food.
    EverydayMomma

Comment by EverydayMomma (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We skipped rice and went straight to real food. At about 5.5 months we started letting her taste things that were naturally smoothe like sweet potato, butternut squash, avocado, banana, smashed peas. But she really just likes a mouthfull or two and that's it. We just give her a bite or two of what we are having that is baby friendly. We never messed with buying special jars of baby food. It's expensive!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's basically a follow their lead thing. I would suggest a few spoonfuls once a day, after nursing or a bottle to start, and gradually increase it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Oh, and he doesn't NEED any of it, so don't worry about not giving enough :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• As long as he is still taking a bottle he will get his nutrients that he needs and if he seems interested in food for a meal then great.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i started with just lunch at 6 months and then did lunch and dinner at 7months and then on all table foods at 8months for breakfast lunch and dinner! i never did the rice stuff i just made my own baby food!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• rice at 2 months? i would get a new dr. but thats just me. i didn't start baby food with my son until he was 4 months, and even that was sparse to say the least. i didn't eat actual baby food or people till he was 6-7 months old.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Nope, he's a great doctor. It wasn't a lot of rice, just a little to practice eating. You can start solids like that when your baby has good control and has lost the reflex that pushes things out of their mouth. That happened to be 2 months for my baby, each one is different.
    EverydayMomma

Comment by EverydayMomma (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011