Gunk in eye

My one-month old's eye started getting yellow gunk in it today and is watering real bad as well. The water is a yellowish color as well. It doesn't look like pink eye. Does anyone know what else it might be? Would something in her eye be irritating it?

Note: I will be calling her doctor tomorrow if it's not better.

montanagal2005

Asked by montanagal2005 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Health

• Well, I did happen to hear of a mom who put breastmilk in her child's eye for pink eye. I guess it's some household remedy. You could try that.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Actually, breastmilk has a lot of antibiotic properties, and is very safe and effective. You can use it in the eye, in the ear for ear infections, on cuts and scrapes, all kinds of things!! It really is liquid gold.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My DD had that, the DR said it wasnt pink eye but another kind of infection that requires drops. And its contagious so wash your hands a lot!
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My seven month old just started antibiotics for the same thing. It seems to be part of this cold she has. My oldest had blocked ducts when she was really little, but eventually outgrew it. Could be either.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Could be a blocked tear duct. It's fairly common, and usually heals on its own within a year. It's still worth calling tomorrow, but I'm guessing this is what it is.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• please do not put breastmilk in your babys eye! GROSS!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2011