Christianity : Masturbating/Porn (serious question)

First of all, I'm not looking for responses about how you're not a Christian and are fine with masturbating and porn...I'm looking solely for responses that have Christian basis. Nothing wrong with other religions or being non-theist, I'm just not looking for that today :).

Can someone here help me with Christianity's view on masturbating and porn? I know that I've heard that they aren't OK, but I don't have time to go around looking up bible verses right now. To make a long story short, I'm near the end of my pregnancy and I'm really horny, but sex is very uncomfortable for me. My husband has said that he has no problem with me watching porn and masturbating. But when I do it, I can't get "into it" because I keep remembering being told it's against the Bible. Can someone shed some light here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have read different answers in different sects of Christianity. If you want to avoid any negative feelings, such as guilt, then perhaps, you should try mutual masturbation. Your husband can stimulate you externally, while you do the same for him. It can provide bonding, be extremely arousing, and give you both a release.

I'm not against masturbation (I happen to think it's awesome lol), but if you want to be careful for religious reasons, the above should work!
    Cymbeline

Answer by Cymbeline at 9:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Porn is perversion, which is bad. I'm not sure about masturbation though...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Its behind Closed doors, no one knows but YOU and your Husband... go for it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Well with porn you are "lusting" after the person you are watching..which is wrong. As far as masturbation, it is also wrong for similar reasons....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• But what is when you're masturbating, you're lusting for your husband?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think this may help if you take the time to read it all.
    http://www.layhands.com/IsMasturbationASin.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• This is the anonymous who just posted. If you don't have time to read the entire link I posted, here is the last paragraph:

"So, is masturbation a sin? The Bible doesn't directly answer this question, so I can't directly answer this question. But if masturbation is the terrible sin that many Christians make it out to be, then it is odd that the Bible never even mentions it and never warns us about it. For example, when the term "sexual immorality" is explained to us in the Bible, it always involves at least two living beings (adultery, incest, prostitution, premarital sex, bestiality, homosexuality, etc.). Masturbation is never described in the Bible as being sexual immorality. Perhaps Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family was right when he said, "It is my opinion that masturbation is not much of an issue with God." (Preparing for Adolescence, Dr. James Dobson, p.83)."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• There was a broadcast last Thurday on Focus on the Family about porn and they were totally agains it because it brought perversion into the home and minds of people and like drugs it is very addictiong and destroying. I looked on their site for your kind of question and I really didn't find anything. Is your husband against pleasing you with his hand or getting a vibrator?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Both of them are sins.

I made a covenant with my eyes not to look with lust upon a girl. I know full well that the Almighty God sends calamity on those who do"(Job 31:1-3)

"Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and the sexually immoral" (Hebrews 13:4, NIV).

Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God" (2 Corinthians 7:1).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Material Sex is an expression of Christian Love between husband and wife. It shows concern for each other, it’s an selfless act. It is giving up yourself for the other person. It’s is not a selfish act. Masturbation is just being selfish vs. selfless.

It’s about having “chastity” in Material Love: Chastity frees a couple from the selfish attitude of using each other as objects, thus making them capable of true love.

I personally rather not use my husband as an object…Masturbating about him would make in an object.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2008